One song to the tune of another (isihac)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

One song to the tune of another (isihac)

Post by Gwyn »

Sing the song: "We plough the fields and scatter. . ."
to the tune of The Who's "Pinball Wizard"

:lol:
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Sing "Jesus Christ is risen today" to the tune of "When the Foeman bears his steel tarantara tarantara" from the Pirates of Penzance.
musicus

Post by musicus »

We all put new words to old tunes, but sometimes they don't quite fit. Some of you will have heard Chris Walker's story (which I may have slightly mis-remembered) about the organist who was caught out when he used the Old Hundredth ("All people that on earth do dwell") for a hymn containing the following couplet:

Here lowly, at the hour of prayer,
Before Thy throne I bow.

Bow, wow, wow...

M
contrabordun

Just a minim

Post by contrabordun »

Your challenge is to sing the Litany of the Saints without hesitation, repetition or deviation
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I've been working on BBC Songs of Praise for the last three years (contract ended last Friday – sob!). In an editorial meeting for a seaside programme, I suggested (tongue in cheek!) that we sing There's A Wideness in God's Mercy (like the wideness of the sea) to the tune of Rod Stewart's Sailing. All thought it was a wonderful idea and took it very seriously. I am now anxiously awaiting the particular programme – I mean they can't really...can they?
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

For years, I've been using "In Christ there is no East or West" to the tune of "While Shepherds Watched...". Raises the occasional smile but works.

BTW, did you know that – working solely from the various published planners – it's possible to sing Aurelia eight weeks out of 15 between 22nd Sunday of the Year and the 1st Sunday of Advent (10 if you use it for two different hymns on Sundays 30 and 33). O God of earth and altar, O Jesus Christ remember, O God thy people gather, The Church's one foundation. It's a long story how/why I came to work it out!

Does anyone have the rest of the words for that lovely old song, The Church's one foundation, Max Factor Number Two....?
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Merseysider wrote:I've been working on BBC Songs of Praise for the last three years (contract ended last Friday)
I'm not surprised if you made suggestions like that :lol:

What about Full in the panting heart of Rome to the tune There is a tavern in the town?
Benevenio.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

References to Full in the panting heart of Rome surely belong on the Good Old Days Thread...don't they?

OK, own up then, when was the most recent occasion on which anybody sung it? I have 'mid 1980s', Easter Monday Mass for men, St Chad's Cathedral.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Merseysider wrote:For years, I've been using "In Christ there is no East or West" to the tune of "While Shepherds Watched...". Raises the occasional smile but works.

followed, presumably, by "westward leading, still proceeding" etc?
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Contradbordun wrote:References to Full in the panting heart of Rome surely belong on the Good Old Days Thread...don't they?

I've never heard of 'Full in the panting heart of Rome', or of anywhere else for that matter.

Does this mean it must have been before my time? Please say it does! I'm feeling particularly ancient today and it would do my heart (not panting, I hasten to add) good to think that I'm not so old, after all. :lol:

TT

P.S. I suppose I should confess that I was singing in a choir during the '80s, but we certainly didn't sing that one.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Apparently Full in the Panting Heart of Rome was requested by a group using the Cathedral not too long ago! I think the music was unavailable or something like that.

TT - pre Vatican II so you are obviously young. (Does that make you feel better?) If you are going to the Summer School, ask someone to play and sing it for you. I am not going to the Summer School as it clashes with something else but I am sure someone could sing it for you.

:lol: 8) :lol:
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Much better!!! Thanks, SOP.

I'll ask at Summer School. I suppose I'd better not use the opening gambit "Are you old enough to remember 'Full in the Panting Heart of Rome'?", else I might get more than I bargained for! :lol:

TT
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

LOL - to be really mischievous you could always suggest it in the liturgical dance workshop!
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

ROTFL!!!!! I'd just psyched myself up for a reflective, prayerful experience in the Dance Workshop, but the idea of a bunch of us enacting 'full in the panting heart' has completely dispelled that idea. :lol:

TT
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

not sure how much scope there is for enacting - can't remember very much of it and have just failed to find it on Google, but it's more a travel brochure than an aerobics soundtrack, (though there is that line about "pilgrims lips that kiss the ground").

have to confess I liked the tune though - would somebody please write some words for it?

musicus is going to have a fit when he reads this thread, sorry i've been off-topic-ing like mad this afternoon