One song to the tune of another (isihac)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

not sure how much scope there is for enacting - can't remember very much of it and have just failed to find it on Google, but it's more a travel brochure than an aerobics soundtrack, (though there is that line about "pilgrims lips that kiss the ground").

have to confess I liked the tune though - would somebody please write some new words for it? or suggest another song to be sung to the tune of this one
musicus

Post by musicus »

contrabordun wrote:musicus is going to have a fit when he reads this thread, sorry i've been off-topic-ing like mad this afternoon

I'm far too busy working (yes, I know it's Sunday) to be able to do any more than throw an occasional glance at the forum.

You have all got far too much time on your hands! :lol:

M
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I've been trying to work too!!! Maybe The Management could time us out after half an hour or so, or only allow so many views per day, else I shall get the sack!!!! :roll: Willpower was never my strong point!

TT
Canonico

Post by Canonico »

While Musicus is not looking at the Forum, those of you who want to check on Full in the Panting Heart of Rome (which is alive and kicking in some places), can find it in The Westminster Hymnal number 226 which gives two tunes to the hymn. Alternatively, there is The Parish Hymn Book number 201.
It may be that you are so young that you have never even heard of those two (once standard) hymnals! 8)
musicus

Post by musicus »

Nice avatar, Canonico! :D

M
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

SOP wrote:Apparently Full in the Panting Heart of Rome was requested by a group using the Cathedral not too long ago! I think the music was unavailable or something like that.

Well if that was St Chad's, I'm not surprised. Last time I looked in there, the hymnal in general use was the New English Hymnal.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Full in the panting heart of Rome

Post by Gwyn »

1. Full in the panting heart of Rome,
beneath th'Apostle's crowning dome,
from pilgrms' lips that kiss the ground,
breathes in all tongues one only sound:
"God bless our Pope, God bless our Pope,
God bless our Pope, the great, the good".

2. The golden roof, the marble walls,
the Vatican's majestic halls,
the note redoubles till it fills
with echoes sweet, the seven hills.

3. Then surging through each hallowed gate,
Where martyrs’ glory in peace, await,
It sweeps beyond the solemn plain
Peels over alps, across the main;

4. From torrid south to frozen north,
that wave harmonious stretches forth,
yet strikes no chord more true to Rome's
than rings within our hearts and homes.

We sang a verse or two last year on the feast of Saint Peter & Saint Paul. F.W.I.W. we still sing many so called golden oldies as well as the more contemporary hymns, chants and songs. :wink:
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Full in the panting heart of Rome

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote: Full in the panting heart of Rome,
beneath th'Apostle's crowning dome,

Wasn't it our late Chairman Harold Winstone who, as a student in Rome, said he had joined in a procession once into the Vatican, in order to attend some Papal "do", by attaching himself (in full choir dress) to a processing Cardinal? A crisis of conscience, on reaching the basilca doors, caused him to confess to the Cardinal that he was not yet a priest and he shouldn't really be there. The Cardinal replied, "Shut up you fool. I'm not a Cardinal either."
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Said Presbyter:
The Cardinal replied, "Shut up you fool. I'm not a Cardinal either."

Fantastic! Adds a whole new facet to life, doesn't it? :P
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

But one song to the tune of another that works really well if you have four voices is 'Ave Verum Corpus' sung to "Strange Adventure" from G & S's 'Yeoman of the Guard'. Abollutleigh drop-dead gorgeous.
Sonoqui

"Full in the Panting Heart of Rome"

Post by Sonoqui »

Ah, yes! I remember it well - but then I am probably considerably older than you (galloping decrepitude springs to mind!).

Then, of course, there's "Faith of our Fathers" too. One of our ex-PPs asked why that was never sung in our parish so our young choir decided to rehearse it and sing it for him. Unfortunately, by the time thay'd scheduled it, said PP had moved on and been replaced by a new one who just so happened to be an ex-CoE convert. Ooops!
ILRush

Re: "Full in the Panting Heart of Rome"

Post by ILRush »

LOL
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Re: "Full in the Panting Heart of Rome"

Post by SOP »

Sonoqui wrote:Ah, yes! I remember it well - but then I am probably considerably older than you (galloping decrepitude springs to mind!).

Then, of course, there's "Faith of our Fathers" too. One of our ex-PPs asked why that was never sung in our parish so our young choir decided to rehearse it and sing it for him. Unfortunately, by the time thay'd scheduled it, said PP had moved on and been replaced by a new one who just so happened to be an ex-CoE convert. Ooops!

Funnily enough, last night I was selecting reading and chants for the next Taize evening. Looking up scripture reference and recommended hymns one book suggested Faith of our Fathers. Did not select it as most of the people attending are non-Catholic so thought it would not be a good idea. :roll:
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

off topic, but responding to SOP

Post by pirate »

Hmmm, yes; last night I was at an ecumenical service organised by my local Anglican church, with involvement from our parish, at which the music director or the vicar had selected The Church's One Foundation, complete with references to the faithful few fighting bravely to guard the nation's life/faith (sorry, don't have the words to hand). I thought, as I sang it, not 20 yards from Thomas More's head, that it was rather an odd choice, and indeed afterwards found one of my work colleagues (Catholic) explaining to another one (Anglican) how it was quite probable that while we were all singing that with a single voice, members of each parish were thinking of quite different people...

I suppose in an odd way that that was an example of one song to the tune of another...
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

I last sang Fullin the panting heart at Wembley 1982.

Can't see any problem with Faith of Our Fathers - I chose it for SS Peter and Paul this year.

Quite a few years ago I belonged to an ecumenical 18+ group. We decided to visit various of the local churches in turn. When we were at one of the Baptist churches, I opened the hymn book to have a look at it. I was surprised to see that Faith of our Fathers was there (although Mary's prayers had been changed to Jesus' prayers).