Acclamation ?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Acclamation ?

Post by Gwyn »

A few years back our Children's Liturgy Group returned to the assembly at Christmas morning mass and sang:

"Happy Birthday to yooo!
Happy Birthday to yooo!
Happy Birthday dear Jesus,
Happy Birthday to yooo!"

I've never fully recovered from this.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Excellent!

Welcome to the forum, Gwyn.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Bet it wouldn't reveive Roman recognitio :wink:
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

errrr - cough cough - or even RECEIVE
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

"Dawn" has passed and as I wait for "Day", I wonder within the walls of how many churches this morning one will hear "O Come let us adore Him" sung after the Institution Narrative in the Eucharistic Prayer.

Sigh. No wonder the Sacred Congregation gets hot under the collar about abuses in the Liturgy when such practices take place.

If any reader really doesn't know why the above is wrong, say so here and I'll reply.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Happy Birthday to yooo!

Bet it wouldn't receive Roman recognitio

It wouldn't be worth the copyright fees payable, if ever it were...
Benevenio.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Presbyter,

I wonder within the walls of how many churches this morning one will hear "O Come let us adore Him" sung after the Institution Narrative in the Eucharistic Prayer.

If any reader really doesn't know why the above is wrong, say so here and I'll reply.

Is it wrong because it has no resurrection content? If this isn't the reason then I'd be interested to learn.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote:Is it wrong because it has no resurrection content? If this isn't the reason then I'd be interested to learn.

Two brief points:

Firstly - one is not allowed to do this sort of thing anyway (GIRM2002/24, cf Sacrosanctum Concilium 22)

Secondly - the use of this particular chorus from a well-known Christmas carol suddenly focusses the attention of the assembly on the infant in the crib, whereas what we should be bringing to mind is the Paschal Mystery.
musicus

Post by musicus »

presbyter wrote:...the use of this particular chorus from a well-known Christmas carol suddenly focusses the attention of the assembly on the infant in the crib, whereas what we should be bringing to mind is the Paschal Mystery.

And that's the point, isn't it? The Paschal Mystery. Not just Christ's resurrection, but his saving death, and his coming again. Admittedly, the three elements are more clearly seen in Christ has died and Dying you destroyed than in the other two acclamations.

Oh, and as presbyter points out, it's not permitted anyway!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

acclamation

Post by organist »

Spotted at Arundel cathedral - acclamation for 9.30 a.m Mass presumably for children set to "Colours of day" :? :evil: