Peter Jones' Coventry Gloria

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Peter Jones' Coventry Gloria

Post by Nick Baty »

JW wrote:For example, settings by Christopher Walker and Stephen Dean are listed but none by Peter Jones, not even the Coventry Gloria. I'm intrigued?

Coventry Gloria is not yet published but will be within the next few days, I am reliably informed.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Nick is correct. Also, the Liturgy Office does not update its page until copies of the published works have actually been received there. There is no mystery here :lol:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

JW wrote:I would have expected all the settings contained in the collection listed on the Liturgy Office website. For example, settings by Christopher Walker and Stephen Dean are listed but none by Peter Jones, not even the Coventry Gloria. I'm intrigued?

A thought -

As an octavo edition, the work in question is unlikely to appear on the Liturgy Office list because it will not be published in England and Wales and therefore not subject to our permission to publish procedure.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Although, presumably, now that it's in Decani's new collection, it could easily be published as an octavo. Perhaps if we appealed to a certain publisher?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Nick Baty wrote:Although, presumably, now that it's in Decani's new collection, it could easily be published as an octavo

Not by Decani. I think the arrangement will be as it is now. Decani will be the UK agent for OCP octavos.
JW

Post by JW »

presbyter wrote:A thought -

As an octavo edition, the work in question is unlikely to appear on the Liturgy Office list because it will not be published in England and Wales and therefore not subject to our permission to publish procedure.

So was it necessary for Peter Jones to jump through the approval procedure hoop (I'm assuming he did)? And what is the point of listing approved settings on the Liturgy Office site? I thought it was meant to be a listing of all settings that had completed the procedure; if not, how can we know whether a setting has been approved or not? I'd despair if it wasn't a sin against the Holy Ghost!
JW
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Peter will have had to jump through the necessary hoops as editor of Glory to God (Decani) rather than as composer of Coventry Gloria. OCP will now go through the same hoops to publish it as an octavo. The list you refer to is of those items published in the UK. Any settings published by OCP, WLP, GIA et al will go through a similar process (I daren't say, "the same") with the USCCB.

There's a list of settings here at Pray Tell.

In Australia they've gone a couple of steps further with a list of recommended Mass settings.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

JW wrote:So was it necessary for Peter Jones to jump through the approval procedure hoop (I'm assuming he did)?

Yes - on both sides of the Atlantic

And what is the point of listing approved settings on the Liturgy Office site?

Not a lot, in my opinion - see Panel Decisions thread
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

The "Glory to God - New Music for the Mass" collection hit the mat yesterday.
Just the right thing at the right time if you ask me.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

And Peter's revised Gloria also appears in the new new McCrimmons collection, due out soon. :)