I'll sing a hymn to Mary

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

presbyter wrote:Yet I do not think it at all appropriate to sing a hymn to Mary on this great feast at all.

Can't say I agree. Christians have always believed it appropriate to honour the saints (and to address them in doing so), and I don't see any reason to stop now. Mary has pride of place in that, for lots of good reasons that were affirmed in chapter 8 of Lumen Gentium: Mary is a type of the Church, which I take to mean, what happens to her is what's in store for all of us.

So we had Hail, queen of heaven, O purest of creatures and Tell out, my soul. At Communion we did John Bell's Take, O take me as I am, which seems to me to chime exactly with the Lumen Gentium account of Mary - the words are Take, O take me as I am / Summon out what I shall be / Set your seal upon my heart and live in me. The Assumption celebrates what God plans to summon out of each of us.

And Schubert's Ave Maria. Our choir has been moved by the management much further from the rest of the assembly than it used to be, and now at last I know why - to get away from the noise of the carrier bags. Couldn't hear them from where I was standing! :)

M.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

In the end we began with My Soul Proclaims the Lord My God (with the awful last verse replaced by a doxology). At the offertory we sang Lord Jesus Christ (Living Lord) because it reminds us that Mary is the Mother of Christ. After the dismissal the PP asked who all to turn to our Marian shrine (stained glass window from our old church) and we sang Hail Queen of Heaven – he then didn't process out until after it. Everyone seemed happy but noone said: "Glad to hear and old hymn". Now, next on the agenda is the Immaculate Conception on 8th December – no problem for many but it's our patronal feast!!!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:
presbyter wrote:Yet I do not think it at all appropriate to sing a hymn to Mary on this great feast at all.

Can't say I agree. Christians have always believed it appropriate to honour the saints (and to address them in doing so), and I don't see any reason to stop now.

A point of clarification. I am not saying one shouldn't sing a Marian song, only that the text should be chosen carefully (and here perhaps we should remember that our use of hymns at Mass overall has usurped the texts of the chants of the liturgy - did anyone look at them to guide their choice of hymn?)

My concern is that we shouldn't confuse Marian devotion (or devotion to any saint) with Mary's (or any saint's) celebrations in the liturgy. There is no such thing as a Mass to Mary or any saint but there are Masses of Mary and the saints. Please post if that distinction seems obscure.

Of course, there is a healthy place in the life of the Church for Marian devotion and devotion to the whole Communion of Saints....... and the lingering trend to in some places to sing Marian hymns at Mass during May is, IMO, a cry from the heart that there doesn't seem to be a place for such devotion in the Church anymore (so instead of distorting the liturgy of Eastertide like this, why not put May Devotions on?)

Indeed, Mary is presented to and for us as the type of the Church par excellence and is duly and rightly honoured as such. But, as she freely and joyfully admits in the Magnificat, it is God who has done great things for her (and for us) and that's what we celebrate in the liturgy.

Here's a chunk from Marialis Cultus

31. We have already spoken of the veneration which the Church gives to the Mother of God in the celebration of the sacred liturgy. However, speaking of the other forms of devotion and of the criteria on which they should be based we wish to recall the norm laid down in the Constitution Sacrosanctum concilium. This document, while wholeheartedly approving of the practices of piety of the Christian people, goes on to say: "...it is necessary however that such devotions with consideration for the liturgical seasons should be so arranged as to be in harmony with the sacred liturgy. They should somehow derive their inspiration from it, and because of its pre-eminence they should orient the Christian people towards it." [93] Although this is a wise and clear rule, its application is not an easy matter, especially in regard to Marian devotions, which are so varied in their formal expressions. What is needed on the part of the leaders of the local communities is effort, pastoral sensitivity and perseverance, while the faithful on their part must show a willingness to accept guidelines and ideas drawn from the true nature of Christian worship; this sometimes makes it necessary to change long-standing customs wherein the real nature of this Christian worship has become somewhat obscured.

In this context we wish to mention two attitudes which in pastoral practice could nullify the norm of the Second Vatican Council. In the first place there are certain persons concerned with the care of souls who scorn, a priori, devotions of piety which, in their correct forms, have been recommended by the magisterium, who leave them aside and in this way create a vacuum which they do not fill. They forget that the Council has said that devotions of piety should harmonize with the liturgy, not be suppressed. Secondly there are those who, without wholesome liturgical and pastoral criteria, mix practices of piety and liturgical acts in hybrid celebrations. It sometimes happens that novenas or similar practices of piety are inserted into the very celebration of the Eucharistic Sacrifice. This creates the danger that the Lord's Memorial Rite, instead of being the culmination of the meeting of the Christian community, becomes the occasion, as it were, for devotional practices. For those who act in this way we wish to recall the rule laid down by the Council prescribing that exercises of piety should be harmonized with the liturgy, not merged into it. Wise pastoral action should, on the one hand, point out and emphasize the proper nature of the liturgical acts, while on the other hand it should enhance the value of practices of piety in order to adapt them to the needs of individual communities in the Church and to make them valuable aids to the liturgy.
Last edited by presbyter on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

Thanks, Presbyter!

Mary as type of the church and example of response to God were two things which came out strongly in the homilies at the two Masses I was at yesterday; one of which (the folk Mass) began with a Magnificat, stuck with 'Blest are you, Lord God of all creation' at the preparation of the gifts, 'Do not be afraid' at Communion and 'Amazing Grace' (bluesy and joyful) to send us on our way rejoicing. Despite being seriously worried about things at home, I was calmed and uplifted and given hope both by the music and by being Eucharistic Minister, and looking into the faces of so many people...

At the other Mass (and this is a bit of an aside), I had put a brown paper bag over my head and delegated the music for August to the rest of the choir. The Assumption was in the hands of one of our more traditional members, so we had rather a lot of Latin, which tends to go well during holiday time in our city full of visitors: Missa de Angelis, Ave Maris Stella (words, music and translation in the people's hands), O bread of heaven, and Ave vera virginitas, a nice three-part piece by Josquin des Pres for diminished choir, which is like a bite of exquisite chocolate both to sing and hear. Although our priest (Nigerian seminary professor, regular summer visitor, good liturgist) had initially said he would prefer it if we sang everything, suddenly he broke into song for the introduction to the Preface... and it was as if the whole church suddenly really did lift up their hearts.

Now I know that sometimes people are put off by the use of Latin, and feel excluded. But I would hope that anyone at that Mass would have felt the excitement and engagement of the people singing with their priest, and joined it, rather than being put off by a feeling of 'well, this is a funny language and has nothing to do with me...' Maybe a difficult one; and please don't get into Latin in the liturgy in this thread. I just thought I'd share it, that's all.

Pirate
presbyter

another chunk

Post by presbyter »

And from The Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy......

184. The relationship between the Liturgy and popular Marian piety should be regulated by the principles and norms already mentioned in this document(211). In relation to Marian devotion, the Liturgy must be the "exemplary form"(212), source of inspiration, constant reference point and ultimate goal of Marian devotion.

185. Here, it will be useful to recall some pronouncements of the Church's Magisterium on Marian devotions. These should always be adhered to when elaboration new pious exercises or in revising those already in use, or simply in activating them in worship(213). The care and attention of the Pastors of the Church for Marian devotions are due to their importance, since they are both a fruit and an expression of Marian piety among the people and the ecclesial community, and a significant means of promoting the "Marian formation" of the faithful, as well as in determining the manner in which the piety of the faithful for the Blessed Virgin Mary is moulded.

186. The fundamental principle of the Magisterium with regard to such pious exercises is that they should be derivative from the "one worship which is rightly called Christian, because it efficaciously originates in Christ, finds full expression in Christ, and through Him, in the Holy Spirit leads to the Father"(214). Hence, Marian devotions, in varying degrees and modes, should:

give expression to the Trinitarian note which characterises worship of the God revealed in the New Testament, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit; the pneumatological aspect, since every true form of piety comes from the Spirit and is exercised in the Spirit; the ecclesial character, in virtue of which the faithful are constituted as the holy people of God, gathered in prayer in the Lord's name (cf. Mt 18, 20) in the vital Communion of Saints(215); have constant recourse to Sacred Scripture, as understood in Sacred Tradition; not overlook the demands of the ecumenical movement in the Church's profession of faith; consider the anthropological aspects of cultic expressions so as to reflect a true concept of man and a valid response to his needs; highlight the eschatological tension which is essential to the Gospel message; make clear missionary responsibility and the duty of bearing witness, which are incumbent on the Lord's disciples(216).
presbyter

and more...

Post by presbyter »

from the same Directory ..... and note it speaks of "pious exercises" separate from Mass

Marian Months

190. With regard to the observance of "Marian months", which is widespread in the Latin and Oriental Churches(223), a number of essential points can be mentioned(224).

In the West, the practise of observing months dedicated to the Blessed Virgin emerged from a context in which the Liturgy was not always regarded as the normative form of Christian worship. This caused, and continues to cause, some difficulties at a liturgico-pastoral level that should be carefully examined.

191. In relation to the western custom of observing a "Marian month" during the month of May (or in November in some parts of the Southern hemisphere), it would seem opportune to take into account the demands of the Liturgy, the expectations of the faithful, their maturity in the faith, in an eventual study of the problems deriving from the "Marian months" in the overall pastoral activity of the local Church, as might happen, for example, with any suggestion of abolishing the Marian observances during the month of May.

In many cases, the solution for such problems would seem to lay in harmonizing the content of the "Marian months" with the concomitant season of the Liturgical Year. For example, since the month of May largely corresponds with the fifty days of Easter, the pious exercises practised at this time could emphasize Our Lady's participation in the Paschal mystery (cf. John 19, 25-27), and the Pentecost event (cf, Acts 1, 14) with which the Church begins: Our Lady journeys with the Church having shared in the novum of the Resurrection, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The fifty days are also a time for the celebration of the sacraments of Christian initiation and of the mystagogy. The pious exercises connected with the month of May could easily highlight the earthly role played by the glorified Queen of Heaven, here and now, in the celebration of the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Eucharist(225).

The directives of Sacrosanctum Concilium on the need to orient the "minds of the faithful...firstly to the feasts of the Lord, in which, the mysteries of salvation are celebrated during the year"(226), and with which the Blessed Virgin Mary is certainly associated, should be closely followed.

Opportune catechesis should remind the faithful that the weekly Sunday memorial of the Paschal Mystery is "the primordial feast day". Bearing in mind that the four weeks of Advent are an example of a Marian time that has been incorporated harmoniously into the Liturgical Year, the faithful should be assisted in coming to a full appreciation of the numerous references to the Mother of our Saviour during this particular period.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Thanks, Presbyter, for those well-chosen, illuminating and refreshingly level-headed quotations from 'the documents'. I will archive them for future use and edification.

Its good to see the forum functioning at this level.

M
mcb

Post by mcb »

Yes, thanks, Presbyter, for some interesting reading. I'm not altogether sure that what you've posted answers the point, though. I'm certain we can all agree that there's no such thing as a Mass to Our Lady, and that the Sundays in May are not feasts of Our Lady. But those points are a long way from the view you and Benevenio initially expressed, namely that you don't believe it appropriate to sing hymns to Mary on the feast of the Assumption. The interesting documents you've cited in support don't seem to me to be all that relevant.

It doesn't seem to me improper to address prayers and hymns other than to God during the Mass. The Litany of the Saints doesn't make the Easter Vigil (or the ordination service or ...) a 'Mass to the saints', and there's ample evidence for addressing Mary directly in "the texts of the chants of the liturgy" that you mentioned. Look at the Communion antiphon for the feast of the Immaculate Conception:

All honor to you, Mary! From you arose the sun of justice, Christ our God.

It seems to me a rather shorter step from here to "O purest of creatures" than perhaps you imply? To invert the point you made, feasts of Our Lady are not Sundays in May, and hymns addressing her are not novenas or flower-strewn processions.

M.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:Look at the Communion antiphon for the feast of the Immaculate Conception:

All honor to you, Mary! From you arose the sun of justice, Christ our God.

We probably need the Latin here (not to hand I'm afraid) and probably also need to take into account the classical latria and dulia distinction. If you have the Graduale to hand, which Psalm(s) is this an antiphon to?
mcb

Post by mcb »

presbyter wrote:We probably need the Latin here (not to hand I'm afraid) ... If you have the Graduale to hand, which Psalm(s) is this an antiphon to?

Don't know. I got the text from http://www.canticanova.com/planning/year-c/plnic_l.htm , but it just gives the antiphon rather than an accompanying psalm.

In the old rite the Communion is -

Gloriosa dicta sunt de te, Maria: quia fecit tibi magna qui potens est.
(Glorious things are told of you, Mary, for he who is mighty has done great things to you.)

and several other propers are addressed to Mary, e.g. the Alleluia:

Tota pulchra es, Maria: et macula originalis non est in te.
(You are all fair, Mary, and there is no stain of original sin in you.)

presbyter wrote: and probably also need to take into account the classical latria and dulia distinction.

As my kids would say, "well, duh!" :)

M.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:As my kids would say, "well, duh!" :)

Here y'are :D

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05188b.htm
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

mcb wrote:
presbyter wrote: and probably also need to take into account the classical latria and dulia distinction.

As my kids would say, "well, duh!" :)

Or, as I would say, "well, double duh!!!"

I can't wait to hear what difference taking into account the classical latria and dulia distinction will make!

Is anyone else as confused as me? :?

TT.
mcb

Post by mcb »

presbyter wrote:Here y'are :D

Er, thanks. Let me gloss "well, duh" for you - it's "as any fule kno".

Obviously we're talking (hyper-)dulia here, unless you mean to tell me that you believe addressing someone other than God in the liturgy is of itself latria? You're out on a limb if so.

M.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Enlightenment!! :D

Thanks, presbyter!

TT.
presbyter

latria and dulia

Post by presbyter »

As you may glean from the link perhaps, theologians have always shown concern that honour given to Mary should not equal that given to God - for if it were, that would break the First Commandment.

Yet I have no problem at all with asking Mary's intercession for us - that's there at Cana. The answer will always point us to her Son - "Do as he tells you."

How do we all feel about the inclusion of the Hail Mary in the Prayers of the Faithful? Only country in the world, I think, to do that. You certainly won't find it in Rome!