The Processional

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

The Processional

Post by Nick Baty »

I've been reading through The Processional which the SSG has produced with the approval of DCW. (Click this link at the bottom of this page.)

Someone in the Society has certainly been very busy. And it's good to see that three of the four processions (Entrance, Offertory, Communion) are seen as cultic actions which require song.

So I just wondered if someone from the SSG could tell us more about the document, the thinking behind it, hopes for its use, why particular translations have been used, are these recommended translations etc etc. And do I spot psalms attached to antiphons which previously didn't have them?

And well done to whoever did all the hard work!
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: The Processional

Post by NorthernTenor »

Nick Baty wrote:And it's good to see that three of the four processions (Entrance, Offertory, Communion) are seen as cultic actions which require song.

Indeed. That's why the modern Graduale Romanum, so strongly commended to us by Archbishop Bugnini, reiterates the continuity of tradition by providing chants for them.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I am responsible for initiating and compiling the Processional, and even for translating the non-ICEL Latin texts myself without submitting them to Vox Clara... through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.

I did so to make available to composers the traditional sources of processional songs at Mass, comprising:
    – the Entrance and Communion Antiphons from the new Missal translations, complete with suitable psalm verses
    – otherwise untranslated Entrance and Communion Antiphons from the Graduale where these do not correspond to those in the Missal
    – otherwise untranslated Offertory Antiphons restored to their original Responsory form
    – the contents of the Simple Gradual (for Sundays and solemnities), which have been unavailable (except in Paul Ford's 'By Flowing Waters') for a long time

And I did so in the hope that composers would rise to the challenge and set some of the texts to new music. For instance, the need for Communion antiphons that are singable in procession has been noted in this forum on many occasions. In the Processional you will find many that follow the traditional practice (seen also in 'Psallite') of using a phrase from the Gospel of the day.

It is not necessary or even desirable to follow the texts slavishly. I would like to see some imaginative compositions, bearing always in mind their liturgical purpose and usage.

Would-be composers may be pleased to learn that compositions of these texts do NOT require approval by the PANEL. ICEL translations are distinguished and their use is covered by their own copyright. Others are © Society of Saint Gregory and are governed by Creative Commons copyright, q.v.

You can download the Processional from http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Missal/Music/ProcessionalBook.pdf
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Thank you, John. I must admit, I thought I'd smelled a tang of Ainslie!
Calum Cille
Parish / Diocese: Earra-Ghaidheal s na h-Eileanan - Argyll and the Isles

Post by Calum Cille »

This is very useful, John, and thank you, Nick. I need not promise to make use of it, as you can tell from the example of my plagiarising below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JW

Post by JW »

Does anyone know if composers are settings these texts, or is CC's example an isolated incident? It would be good if there was a 'Psallite' type project for these, though how to produce something that's cheap, durable and gives composers a fair remuneration for the immense amount of time involved is, I guess, a major issue. Would AntoineDaniel's operation consider getting involved?
JW
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

We've been singing a few Communion chants from here. For example, throughout Advent we're using the text given for Week 3 although, of course, the Processional makes no distinction between Years A, B and C. They seem to be taking off – simple refrain for assembly and simple verses for the cantor.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Nick Baty wrote:although, of course, the Processional makes no distinction between Years A, B and C.

Far be it from me to criticise John's tremendous effort in pulling it all together, but that does seem to me to be one of the major failings of every enterprise so far (with the exception of the Psallite project): they do not advert to the difference between the three years of the cycle. The Missal doesn't, the Graduale Romanum doesn't (except for Communion Antiphons and psalms, and even there is not entirely successful), the Graduale Simplex doesn't.... and so the Processional has, perforce, reproduced the deficiencies of all three of them. We see here the fruits of a lack of communication between the different task forces of the Consilium, and between the Consilium and the Sacred Congregation of Rites (as it then was).
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

A new year - a new resolution; I thought I would revisit the scene of my most noted failure (so far, that is!) - the Communion Processional. I seem to be missing one vital ingredient - the actual texts of the suggested psalm verses (not having a copy of the unpublished Antiphonal referred to in the Introduction to the Processional). I used Grail in a previous ill-fated attempt before I realised the intricacies of the copyright issues.

Any suggestions?

Q
keitha

Post by keitha »

Q - are you using your proposed settings in your own parish only, or will you be promulgating them elsewhere as well?
Keith Ainsworth
JW

Post by JW »

It's worth bearing in mind that Psallite contains settings for Communion Processionals for each Sunday - it's one of the composers' objectives as stated in the Introductory Notes.
JW
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Thanks for replying, folks -

Keitha: I think I know where you are going with this - I only intend to try something locally, but there's the whole morass about only using the texts as printed for the responsorial psalms without hesitation, deviation or repetition (or is that something else? :? );

JW - I'd try Psallite but the very flash website offers a link to "Try Psallite" which leads to "Download free music sheets and listen to song samples" which sounds like just what you'd want except that it doesn't actually lead anywhere, and as I'm instinctively cynical about flash websites in general and ones that don't work in particular I'm easily put off.

To my mind step 1 would be see if the assembly can be persuaded to sing a response while processing to Holy Communion (actually, from experience step zero would be to persuade them to sing just anything at that time :roll: ) before throwing money at the problem and buying a whole load of stuff that might just gather dust under a staircase somewhere.

I've toyed with the idea of just using texts from the variety of Bibles we have in our multi-denominational household, but I discovered (to my surprise, but I'm happy to admit it) just how much easier the structured verses of the Grail are to use. If there is a similar alternative in the Antiphonal I'd be glad to have a look at it.

Q
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

quaeritor wrote:step 1 would be see if the assembly can be persuaded to sing a response while processing to Holy Communion

Perhaps start with settings of psalms which occur frequently in the Liturgy of the Word, for example The Lord's my shepherd. The assembly might find it easier to sing something which is already familiar. And/or try something which could be used for several weeks like Taste and See – there are dozens of settings around. Once you've established the idea of singing and moving it might be easier to be more adventurous.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Good suggestion Nick.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

If you or your instrumentalists are up to it, it is possible to side-step psalm texts by alternating the response with played verses/improvs. Its something we often with "Bread of Life" type communion songs - that works very well if some of the responses are hummed rather than sung by all - a bit of deft linking back can be enough to give the assembly the right idea.