Triduum 2011 - Hope all goes well!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Re: Triduum 2011 - Hope all goes well!

Post by mcb »

HallamPhil wrote:Except that the body was liturgically broken the previous evening. There is no breaking of bread on Good Friday.

Missing the point, I think? On Good Friday we share in Christ's broken body, irrespective of the timing of the Fraction Rite!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

thanks mcb. Only musing out loud!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

I'm one of those who doesn't get it at all.
It's almost as though we don't feel we've been to church unless we've received communion.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Will I be rusticated?

Without any authorisation, I have sung the long form of the new ICEL translation of the Praeconium Paschale with double bees, this evening. Couldn't resist the return of the bees. :oops:
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

And another has been and gone!
The only hitch was this evening when, for some reason, the PP decided everyone should blow out their candles after the Exsultet. The result: a whole church and choir trying to read their service sheets from the light of the Paschal candle!
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Nick Baty wrote:PP decided everyone should blow out their candles after the Exsultet.

He was right, though, wasn't he? The lights should go on at that point, anyway.

Happy Easter everyone!
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Whichever, we've never done that before – result, not a lot of light!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

What time did you lot start your Vigil? Did you notice that the Tablet published a list of Cathedrals which broke the instruction to start after sunset. We started at 9pm and finished at 12.10 ... mind you we did have a full cathedral, 11 full immersion adult baptisms, 1 reception and 25 adult confirmations. Thank God we did the ordinariate ones earlier in the week! It was fantastic though. After 11 baptisms the Bishop looked around to see if anyone else wanted it!

I also sang the revised translation of the Paschal Proclamation (Exsultet) with bees but I had my B's authorisation.

You can check out our music content on the website diocese-hallam.com

Just realised that the SSG clock is an hour out hence my amazement at you being able to post and do vigil.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

We didn't think it through properly and started at 8.30pm with sunlight streaming into the church.
However, by the time we came back in with the paschal candle it was pretty dark.
Next year won't be so much of a problem as Easter is two weeks earlier.
And in 2013 it's on 31 March.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

mcb wrote:
Nick Baty wrote:PP decided everyone should blow out their candles after the Exsultet.

Happy Easter everyone!

Sitting at home with no reference books, but if I recall the lights (inc. altar candles, etc) are lit at the Gloria..... Many parishes have discovered the "atmospheric" advantages of having the Liturgy of the Word by candlelight.

First time I've seen a blessing of the new fire in broad daylight (at 8pm), and it was still light enough last night to sing the Exsultet (Boulton Smith two-cantor version in MM2) without candles or torches. All parishes in our part of the country had been advised not to start the Vigil before 9.00pm because of the lateness of Easter, and none of them took any notice. Some of them didn't believe it would be necessary (thanks to very early Easter in 2008), and others knew but didn't care.

Happy Easter to one and all
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

presbyter wrote:Will I be rusticated?

Without any authorisation, I have sung the long form of the new ICEL translation of the Praeconium Paschale with double bees, this evening. Couldn't resist the return of the bees. :oops:

Slightly OT but related, one of our seminaries has been using the new translation of the Order of Mass since the beginning of Lent. Those being ordained this summer are being taught to celebrate in the existing translation (which they will use for two months at most after ordination) and the new one.

While we're OT, the Archdiocese of Liverpool have declared UDI and will not begin using the new Order of Mass until the first weekend of October. And a bishop in the south has recommended to his clergy that they do not simply cease to use existing music settings from the beginning of September but instead have a gradual transition to new settings. Pastoral wisdom there, I think.

Moving swiftly back towards topic, did anyone else grieve last night at some of the texts that we will never hear again? I can never hear the words "Father, you give us grace through sacramental signs which tell us of the wonders of your unseen power" without a shiver running down my spine.

The Triduum next year is going to feel very different.
festivaltrumpet

Post by festivaltrumpet »

Southern Comfort wrote:
mcb wrote:

Sitting at home with no reference books, but if I recall the lights (inc. altar candles, etc) are lit at the Gloria.....

Rubrics in the leaked 2008 Missal state: "Then the deacon places the paschal candle on a large candle stand prepared next to the ambo or in the middle of the sanctuary. All lights are lit throughout the church except for the altar candles" A later rubric indicates the altar candles are lit at the point to which Southern Comfort refers.

I believe that these are no different from current rubrics. Thus the Paschal Proclamation should be sung in full illumination if one interprets "all lights" to mean the electrical variety. This most certainly diminishes the symbolism of the "Pillar of fire...divided, but never dimmed by the sharing of its light"
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Southern Comfort wrote:...did anyone else grieve last night at some of the texts that we will never hear again?

Yes, during Tom McGuinness's Exsultet – which is more or less the Missal tone with frills – which could have been written for our PP. As usual, you couldn't hear a pin drop, throughout.

Southern Comfort wrote:The Triduum next year is going to feel very different.

Well, that's the theory.
So far, this year, I've heard of:
the EF First Mass of Easter celebrated at 5pm – bog standard Mass with Easter Day readings (although with a notice on the church door stressing that this does not fulfill the Sunday obligation).
the OF Mass celebrated at 7pm with no candle, water etc etc
And, last Sunday, a Palm Sunday Mass with no Palm ritual of any sort (including the Gospel reading). Still, the PP did tell the congregation, "Oh, and there are palms at the back if anyone wants to collect one on the way out".
The new translation won't do much to sort out this attitude to liturgy.
We have a long way to go.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

HallamPhil wrote:Just realised that the SSG clock is an hour out hence my amazement at you being able to post and do vigil.

Much as I should like to wait for darkness, in an area where there have been twenty-three murders in the last six years, the faithful - many of whom are elderly and who rely on public transport - will not venture forth late in the evening. The church was dim and we celebrated the Liturgy of the Word in candle light. Lights came on - rather dramatically :D - during the Gloria.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

Southern Comfort wrote:...did anyone else grieve last night at some of the texts that we will never hear again?

I didn't. :D
Ian Williams
Alium Music