The trouble with Communion Processionals

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: The trouble with Communion Processionals

Post by NorthernTenor »

HallamPhil wrote:There are so many generalisations in NT's comments aimed at catholics and protestants alike.

From the specific context of a Catholic cathedral in Sheffield I would say that Catholics do indeed sing. Every week I step out in front of the congregation and invite them into the song which is rightfully theirs and they respond to this invitation. Sometimes I can see them singing more obviously than hear them. Our buildings are not intimate places but often rather cold and intimidating and responses spoken or sung can be affected by this and subdued. Admittedly there are a very few who remain tight-lipped when I offer them music from particular stables which they may determine to be akin to the anti-Christ but the intransigent and ignorant have always been welcome in our churches!

If it is your experience that Catholics do not sing then thank God for the refugees from many parts of the world who now grace our worship spaces! Not only will many of these sing but, in my experience, they will also improvise harmonies at will (not always mine .. but there you go!). The Poles can hardly be said to be silent when it comes to singing the Mass. If they were not instructed to worship in their national grouping then the volume level of even my context would surely rise beyond measure!

If these recent arrivals are not in your church then perhaps it may be because they might not feel welcomed. I was recently in an Anglican Cathedral for choral evensong. I was one of two persons in the 'congregation' as the magnificent choir of 30 persons went about their business. It clearly was not intended to be mine and perhaps that may be why people might appear to have voted with their feet?

I believe in people's ability to offer their praise to God in song. Perhaps when we embody that belief as Cantors and animators we bring out the best in folk?

Phil,

I think your comments reinforce my point, in what you say and what you don't. You fail to address my argument that the difference between our congregations' approach to singing and that of Protestants is due, in some degree, to the different function and nature of our respective liturgies. I hope we can agree there is such a difference, because the sacrifice of the Mass and the liturgical tradition through which it is given to us lie at the heart of our religious life in ways that don't have a Protestant equivalent. It would be surprising if this were not reflected in the manner of our individual approaches to worship.

That's not to deny other cultural influences, such as you remark upon from your own multi-cultural experience, but to suggest that your experience dictates a general solution to the perceived problem that Catholics can't sing is simply another one-size-fits-all approach that is insensitive to others' experience and culture. You may think that a little harsh, but I'm afraid it's evident in you comments, not least in your accusation that those who can't get congregations to sing must be unwelcoming. I would be surprised if that were true of those who have described the problem in this thread and elsewhere. So, too, your dismissal of a sung cathedral evensong because not many attended shows an ignorance of the nature of that office: it is the daily public prayer of the cathedral community; others are welcomed to it, but it is not justified by their presence. That a Catholic cathedral and diocesan music director either doesn't know this, or does but fails to respect it, is quite shocking. It is, I fear, another example of the insularity and arrogance that bedevil English-speaking Catholicism, and which is a source of the monomania that insists participation isn't active unless it's spoken or sung . I would point to your labelling of those who don't join in the songs at your Cathedral as "intransigent and arrogant", and Alan29's jibe about some fellow Catholics, as other examples.

My underlying point is effectively recognised by others on the thread when they conclude that a quiet, barely audible participation in liturgical song is nonetheless heartfelt. It isn’t far from there to the suggestion that it's time to let our understanding of active participation mature, to the point where it recognises that internal participation can be active, too. A more balanced and nuanced approach to liturgical music will recognise this.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

NT I have decided to respond on the forum rather than through a private message.

You can be as shocked as you would appear to wish to be, but I ask you not to misrepresent what I write. You translate what I offer as suggestion to accusation and similarly you translate 'might' to 'must'. there is a world of difference between the two and this betrays your purpose. Your concern as to what you presume to be my thinking are touching but rather unfounded and certainly unsolicited.

Perhaps you have now switched your attack from another on the forum to me. I wish you contentment in whatever you do but I understand that anger management counselling can be quite successful these days.
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

HallamPhil wrote:NT I have decided to respond on the forum rather than through a private message.

You can be as shocked as you would appear to wish to be, but I ask you not to misrepresent what I write. You translate what I offer as suggestion to accusation and similarly you translate 'might' to 'must'. there is a world of difference between the two and this betrays your purpose. Your concern as to what you presume to be my thinking are touching but rather unfounded and certainly unsolicited.

Perhaps you have now switched your attack from another on the forum to me. I wish you contentment in whatever you do but I understand that anger management counselling can be quite successful these days.

Not anger, Phil, but disappointment that, in a public forum, you should choose to describe those of your readily identifiable congregation who choose not to sing as “intransigent and ignorant”; bemusement that you suggest I may be unwelcoming to those of other cultures in my church, when you have no reason to suspect it may be so (“If these recent arrivals are not in your church then perhaps it may be because they might not feel welcomed”); concern at your insensitivity to another church’s liturgical tradition (“I was one of two persons in the 'congregation' as the magnificent choir of 30 persons went about their business. It clearly was not intended to be mine”); and saddened that all this appeared to be a substitute for discussion of the point that I’d made, which you simply didn’t address.

As for your claim that I “have switched my attack from another on the forum” to you: I have engaged ideas and their manner of expression, on the understanding that this is a place intended for that purpose. I understand why people can get worked up when they think that ideas and practices that are dear to them are being questioned, but Phil: this place is one for discussion and criticism of ideas. It would be a good idea to get used to that, rather than sticking the boot in when someone disagrees with you or your friends, then crying fowl when someone points it out.

All this is very frustrating. There's a good discussion to be had about music, the liturgy and the nature of participation, particularly in relation to music at communion.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
musicus

Post by musicus »

This could so easily degenerate into a row, gentlemen, so I would ask you to confine yourselves to debating the issues, which are real and worth exploring. Thank you.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Returning to topic:
Nick Baty wrote:I have to hold up my hands and admit it: I cannot get Communion songs to work.
So I’m just wondering what other people do.
What works for you?
Or you have you, too, given up? :(
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

NorthernTenor wrote: then crying fowl ....

Sounds like some of my congregation singing :wink: but i think you mean foul - which sounds like some of my congregation protesting at the demise of a certain Gloria that will no longer be sung when the new texts are with us.
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

presbyter wrote:
NorthernTenor wrote: then crying fowl ....

Sounds like some of my congregation singing :wink: but i think you mean foul - which sounds like some of my congregation protesting at the demise of a certain Gloria that will no longer be sung when the new texts are with us.

Ha! :-)
Ian Williams
Alium Music
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Except in my parish people do sing and have done for as long as I can remember - we have never had a choir, so they have had to! Yes and everything from Blind Worm to the latest thing hot off the press - sometimes at the same celebration.
But at communion as others have observed, it really helps to have enough of a congregation so that there are always people with access to a hymn book while others are on the move. If some want to sing and others don't, so what? Just accompany at the appropriate level, while maybe skilfully encouraging others to join the song when they feel so moved. If they really feel moved and don't have the words, they can hum - wordless praise.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

alan29 wrote:Except in my parish people do sing and have done for as long as I can remember - we have never had a choir, so they have had to!

It was in a Suffolk parish that I remember the best singing assembly and, just like Alan's parish, we had no choir. I wonder if there's a link. In fact, they could manage Walker's Here, O my Lord with its ever changing harmony while a superb soprano sang the cantor's part over the top.

My present parish is the best I've known for singing where there is a choir. I suspect this is because it's a small building and the choir is seated in a way that they can be part of the assembly and also part of the choir. But, back on topic, it's still the Communion song which doesn't quite work for us.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Nick Baty wrote:it's still the Communion song which doesn't quite work for us.

Perseverance is what is needed, I think. We've been using antiphons with psalms, and other songs with short refrains (and lots of verses!) to accompany the communion procession for a number of years now. We begin as soon as the Priest has received communion and continue until the last person receives from the chalice. We often use something from Psallite, though not always what is recommended for that week. Other pieces which work well are Taizé chants, with verses, and songs such as Unless a Grain or Bob Hurd's Come to me and Drink.

The choir sings the antiphon or refrain through several times to establish whilst they process to communion. One person (and perhaps some instrumentalists) remains behind to begin singing the verses. As the choir return to their places (in the body of the church), they might take up the verses, depending upon how we've decided to do it, and the cantor and instrumentalists always manage to slip off to communion towards the end of the procession whilst the choir returns to singing the antiphon or refrain over and over.

As to how people have responded to this, I would say they have begun to join in, but it's been a gradual process and the singing is still not great (but then, the singing is not 'raise the roof' stuff at the best of times). People who were once resistant now join in, I've noticed, and people can manage to remember a longer response/antiphon than you might give them credit for.

Some pieces we've used really don't work, but many do. We drop the ones that don't but make a note of the ones that do. I've been surprised at how appreciative people have been of a gentle reflective processional song at communion - even those who don't sing have said they find it contemplative and prayerful.

We don't sing anything post-communion, allowing those who want to reflect in silence to do so.

The beauty of this sort of song at communion is that you can extend it or truncate it to fit the time it takes the people to process, however long or short that may be.
TT
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:Perseverance is what is needed, I think.

You know, TT, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've not been consistent in my approach. I've given up too often. If Communion songs don't work, I revert to a choir or organ piece with a song after Communion. But perseverance might be the answer.

We don't change other formats, do we? The Alleluia, Holy and Amen are always sung by the assembly. If they assembly is struggling one week, we don't give it to the choir the next – we keep going.

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:We don't sing anything post-communion, allowing those who want to reflect in silence to do so.

And that still silence can be created by the preceding processional song.

Thank you, TT. I'll look at this for Trinity onwards – not sooner as we'll be busy with settings of the new texts in the weeks leading up to then.

Now, tell me – why do we so rarely see you on here these days?
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

I agree with several of the points TT makes and indeed the models and modus operandi suggested. These also reflect the guidelines in GIRM. It interested me to read in a note from Chris Walker about his excellent 'Draw near and receive' motet that he intended this for the period of the sanctuary ministers' reception of communion. There would presumably be something else for when distribution moved into the assembly, perhaps along the lines TT shares. I can also recall some years ago Chris writing a fine article in which he challenged minsters to get distributing communion as soon as the priest had received. How much time elapses between the priest's communion and the distribution to the assembly in your church? There are so many issues around communion, its processions and processionals!

I often look for a song which is communal in its text, which invites us to consider those we pass on the way to reception. I think it's probably borne out of a feeling that communion is not just between communicant and his/her God but also with those present and those absent or hungry and thirsty for food and drink or justice. This communal resonance was there in the time of Augustine, I just wonder when we moved into a more individualistic attitude? In one instance Augustine invites us to become what we receive, to become Christ. For me this is not a call only to bask in the glow of reception but perhaps also an invitation to active relationship with the poor, vulnerable and marginalised, to be more self-less. It is through this action that we realise that other part of the Last Supper, the instruction to wash feet and all that this action symbolises.

Such songs as Farrell's 'Bread for the world' make this bridge very well. Perhaps we might look for others which reflect this wider understanding of the purpose of Holy Communion. And if this is not so easy to achieve then I do think that the post-communion song could move us into that self-less attitude in preparation for going out into the world in which we are invited to be Christ or Christ-like. It is for this reason that I am uncertain about TT's model of never singing a post-communion song. I do appreciate the value of silence and indeed this is a declared option in GIRM but can't we have both?

In the days when we used to have a closing hymn in my place of worship I used to be content to let the processional song 'wind down' into a period of silence and leave it thus until the celebrant gathered it with the prayer.Now I'm not so sure. Having completed the Communion Processional as the last receives we have a communal silence during which time ministers are dealing with vessels just out of sight and earshot. The celebrant then sits down and a while after this the post-communion song starts and the post-communion prayer after that.

John Ainslie has done a great service in offering his 'Processional' resource. I also felt the 1998 Antiphonal was most useful resource which barely saw the light of day. However I do have a concern that these texts do not obviously move me in the direction of the action I understand to be the end result of communion.I go to mass to be sent out! It might be the Iona Community member in me that prompts this understanding but I do think we musicians, who choose the words that are placed on the lips of the assembly we serve, might need to ensure that the washing of feet dimension is reflected somehow.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

HallamPhil wrote: I can also recall some years ago Chris writing a fine article in which he challenged minsters to get distributing communion as soon as the priest had received.........

Oh really? So what is proposed regarding the distribution of Holy Communion to the Extraordinary Ministers themselves? Something akin to what happens at a concelebration? The Extraordinary Ministers receiving after they have distributed the sacrament to the faithful? I think such adaptations of the rite are solely within the bailiwick of episcopal competence, don't you?
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

HallamPhil wrote:he intended this for the period of the sanctuary ministers' reception of communion. There would presumably be something else for when distribution moved into the assembly

A consequence of this might be to erect a boundary between the priest's/ EMHCs' communion and that of the people. I always aim to start the communion processional song immediately after the words Lord I am not worthy.... This has the twin effect of (i) showing that the priest's communion and the people's are part of a single rite; and (ii) giving the people time to absorb a sung refrain a few times before joining the procession, which means they don't need to carry a sheet with the words/music on it.

Like other contributors above, I find that the communion procession is a difficult time to engage people in singing, and that it doesn't really matter as long as what singing there is aids prayer.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Presbyter
I don't imagine Chris' article (published in Liturgy some years ago) sought to undermine the clergy (and nor do I) so have no fear! And If I recall it was a commentary on undue length given to distribution to the sanctuary if this included altar servers who have nothing to do in this part of the rite... unless of course they are deputed to hold the plate under the mouths of those receiving. However it raises in my mixed up mind a memory of hearing that Deacons might receive last and therefore if this can indeed be the case I am wondering if the same might be the case for eucharistic ministers. I am away from my books so I am caught at my most ignorant! :D