Late arrivals at the Liturgists' Ball

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

St Peter Ex Vinculis, Pentonville.

We have escaped like a bird out of the fowler’s snare;
The snare has been broken, and we have escaped.
Psalm 124: 7-8
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:St Peter Ex Vinculis, Pentonville.

Ha ha! mcb has tried to confuse us here methinks with an apparition of a Heenan Hologram which is not ex cathedra - for if t'were the parish would indeed exist! Nice and indeed witty try :wink: but I request a ruling from the moderator!!

Pray benevenio, why the excursus south of the river? 'Tis too confusing for a basic Wiseman privilege game surely? Or do you know a crossing that is accessible nearer to Cheltenham? Or perhaps parishes - even cathedrals - south of the river are wild? Ruling please!!

St Mary and St Michael, Commercial Road - "the waters of a river give joy to God's city" - well they used to before the docks moved elsewhere :roll:
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

presbyter wrote:St Mary and St Michael, Commercial Road

Oh my goodness!!! Commercial Road has given me a "Community Chest" opportunity - now what does it say?????? It's a hint which crosses the diocesan border!!!! 8)

English Martyrs
Maldon Road, Danbury, SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS, Essex is possibly somewhere to aim for :shock:

Might this be a red herring I wonder?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Oh dear - a red herring it was. I appear to be stuck in mud flats somewhere near St John Fisher
Manners Way, Prittlewell, SOUTHEND-ON-SEA :?

Help!

What's this card say? Do not collect £200 - do not pass Go - Go to jail for three moves - humph!

ps 89 (90) v 3 "Go back, sons of men" - is this allowed?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

presbyter wrote:.....nearer to Cheltenham...

Groan - blame musicus - i'm as confused as he is - now where is Chelmsford? "your word is a lamp for my steps" ps 118(119)
Last edited by presbyter on Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

And please welcome, just at the right moment:

Mr and Mrs Dayseventeeninordinarytime and their Son....

And that rather envious couple Mr and Mrs Jealous and their daughter Anne
(they ring a bell with some guests)

And here in sedate procession in are Mr and Mrs Ica and their son Basil

And here's his military uncle Basil - Major....

And still at school at Downside Abbey, here's his cousin Basil - a Minor...

And here are the Misses Absolution with their military father - who is not quite sure if he should be here anymore - General....
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

If you're allowed to wander around Essex I'm definitely allowed to invent new parishes.

St Ronald's, Westminster Cathedral Plaza:

Am I to eat the flesh of bulls,
or drink the blood of goats?
Ps 49(50)

(I'm, er, lovin' it.)
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:If you're allowed to wander around Essex I'm definitely allowed to invent new parishes.

Aren't we aiming to end up in Essex for Morning Prayer on Tuesday?
musicus

Post by musicus »

mcb wrote:St Ronald's, Westminster Cathedral Plaza:

Ps 49(50)

(I'm, er, lovin' it.)

Wonderful!

But presbyter is right; this isn't getting us to Chelmsford.

Musicus
Dot

The MacDonalds allusion, and total confusion

Post by Dot »

Ps 49(50)

I once brought a setting of this psalm to Composers Group - no problem whatsoever with the words. On another occasion, the words "his flesh their meat" from a text by Pat Lee aroused some concern to do with the sensibilities of a vegetarian priest!

Yes, well, that was definitely an aside; but which of three games are we playing here, and how did Monopoly come into the reckoning, and whose line is it anyway?

Just to clarify, based on
u can't do that on a zone 1 day saver
think you're confusing the rules of a fourth game, called Mornington Crescent, with those of Morning Prayer Crescent. Or, at what point is it permissible to break out of Zone 1? Ah, I know, if it's attached to a Chiltern Line day saver, then you can get all the way to Birmingham. Shucks, wrong direction again.

Dotty
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

presbyter wrote:Or do you know a crossing that is accessible nearer to Cheltenham?

Well, from musicus' Bermondsey, I was going to carry on down the lower road (A200 for those that do not know the area), going via:
1) St Joseph's (behind the Royal Millitary Academy, Woolwich) and [bible]psalm 80:1[/bible];
2) Our Lady of the Angels, Erith, using [bible]psalm 91:11[/bible] for protection on the journey;
3) St Anselm's, Dartford, drawing on that saint's ontological argument and recalling [bible]Job 19:25[/bible].
4) This neatly brings us to the Dartford Crossing and [bible]Ezr 4:20[/bible] - and this is where you mistook your go to jail card for a "sit in the traffic jam for hours" card.
5) I decided to avoid the Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Helen, Brentwood [bible]psalm 13:2[/bible] before taking the Roman road (aka A12) to Chelmsford [bible]psalm 1:1-2[/bible], doing the journey in 5 moves and thus very neatly winning the game!

However, unfortunately, the Summer School caravan is currently residing in the temple of the Golden Arches, Wesminster - and we haven't even bought the bar stock yet :roll: So... Christ the King, Cockfosters [bible]psalm 93:1[/bible] will get us right out of the smoke and onto a more open road.

Your move!
Benevenio.
presbyter

The Liège stumble

Post by presbyter »

Dot wrote:u can't do that on a zone 1 day saver

Well I suppose there is an historical precedent in that Susan Hawley - the first really great exponent of the game (and lacking electricity too!) - took everyone by surprise in using what became known as the "Liège by-pass stumble" in 1642. May we use the "Chunnel Diversion" tactic under the Wiseman privilege? Mind you, the aforementioned game seems to have been played over many generations and was not completed until 1799.

(If you are wondering click here)
Last edited by presbyter on Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Benevenio wrote:doing the journey in 5 moves and thus very neatly winning the game!

Are you sure? Can you avoid the agricultural vehicle sent out from St Cuthbert's, Western Road, BURNHAM-ON-CROUCH. Remember poor Matthias (Acts 1:26b)
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Oh there's no rush - only needing to arrive by Tuesday. That agricultural vehicle is entirely appropriate ([bible]1Cor 9:10[/bible]) for all who are waiting in joyful hope.

St Edward the Confessor, Romford. ([bible]ps 32:5[/bible])
presbyter

winner of MPC

Post by presbyter »

I am sad to say (because it is not me :cry: ) that the winner of MPC is " excathedra" for he seems to have cheated by employing the "I am in the background and moving silently and in secret" tactic. Humph! He has arrived at New Hall for Morning Prayer on Monday, a day early!