Those things one can't do without

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: Those things one can't do without

Post by NorthernTenor »

NorthernTenor wrote:The Grauale Romanum.

The Graduale Romanum, even.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
JW

Post by JW »

Mrs JW.
JW
Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Post by Mithras »

musicus wrote:All are welcome here. But I don't think SC was suggesting otherwise, to be fair.

That I know -and I also know that SC was not implying anything other than that. My main point was that hymns not familiar to RC congregations could, and perhaps should, be brought into Catholic liturgies (provided they are pieces of quality which I belive my examples to be) and by extension that the SSG's policy of "all welcome here" can only have a mutually beneficial effect across the demoninational spectrum.

But Nick's point might be valid so perhaps someone could start of new thread along the lines of "these we have loved (and still do), with supporting reasons?

M
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Yes, M, I'm thinking more along the lines of Things You Can't Get Through the Liturgical Year Without. I couldn't imagine the Procession of the Cross on Good Friday without Paul Inwood's This is the wood of the Cross or the Easter Vigil without Dan Schutte's River of Glory (OK, there are a few weaker choices for that second one but I'm sure you get the idea).
JW

Post by JW »

Sleep - I remember my son dozing off and snoring loudly during a sermon many years ago.
JW
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Nick Baty wrote:Yes, M, I'm thinking more along the lines of Things You Can't Get Through the Liturgical Year Without. I couldn't imagine the Procession of the Cross on Good Friday without Paul Inwood's This is the wood of the Cross or the Easter Vigil without Dan Schutte's River of Glory (OK, there are a few weaker choices for that second one but I'm sure you get the idea).

Having listened to http://www.spiritandsong.com/compositions/8351 I think you might be right.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Hm! Not so sure about the Hammond organ in that version. But I must admit to getting totally carried away when accompanying on piano – wonderful 9/12 part – and fun to improvise on! Our congregation belts it out and our choir loves singing the "Ahs"!