Kicking off the Triduum

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Kicking off the Triduum

Post by Nick Baty »

How do you begin Maundy Thursday?
In past years we've used Unless a Grain of Wheat, Praise to the Holiest, An upper room, etc etc etc
But I always feel this should be a great opening number, an overture to the drama of the coming days.
What do other people do?
Southern Comfort

Re: Kicking off the Triduum

Post by Southern Comfort »

The hymn you are looking for is John Ainslie's splendid text The glory of the cross we sing, which starts with the entrance antiphon of the Maundy Thursday evening Mass and works its way through the themes of the remainder of the Triduum, set to the tune WAREHAM. It is in The Great Week (McCrimmon, revised and expanded edition) and Laudate, and has been a superb Triduum curtain-raiser for many people for many years. I suggest transposing the music down from B flat to A or even A flat — the overall tessitura is a little high for congregations (though not choirs) at the beginning of a celebration when voices are not yet warmed up.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Meekness and Majesty. A really strong tune and powerful words that sum up what the Trioduum is about.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Usually "Praise to the Holiest..." (Geronteus) as a Processional then the Introit, "Nos autem . . . " at the sanctuary steps.

Bob Hurd's Ubi Caritas is pefect as the Offertory

When the celebration is over and as the altar is stripped bare, we sing "My soul is sad . . . " by Francesca Leftley (Hymns Old and New 367).

I do so love Holy Week and The Triduum.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

We often start with "When Israel was in Egypt's Land", because the apostles gathered for a party to celebrate escaping from Egypt. We never sing anything at the end because everyone has gone to the altar of repose.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Southern Comfort wrote:The hymn you are looking for is John Ainslie's splendid text The glory of the cross we sing, ... set to the tune WAREHAM.

We've used John Ainslie's hymn four times in the last seven years, but to the tune Gonfalon Royal since (unlike Wareham) our assembly already knew it. In the other years we've done When I survey the wondrous cross, though this is less effective as an introduction to all the events of the Triduum.
Scholastica

Post by Scholastica »

Alan Rees's "We should glory inthe cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ" has been used for many years in my parish. Written with a refrain and verses for cantor, the congregation now sing the whole piece.

We should glory in the cross of Our Lord, Jesus Christ.
He is our salvation, our life and resurrection.

1. The Son came not to be served, but to serve.
He gave his life for us, a ransom for many.

2. We break this bread, Lord, we drink this cup,
We proclaim your death, Lord, until you come.

3. A new commandment you give to us, O Lord.
“Show love for one another, as I have loved you”.

4. If we have died in Him, then we shall live in Him.
If we hold firm, then we shall reign with Him.

The music can be found in New Music for Holy Week (Kevin Mayhew) Unfortunately as it was published in 1990 it may not be in print ....
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

In Hallam we used to start with my setting of 'we should glory in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ' with psalm verses. Now I also prefer John Ainslie's text to Wareham.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I am now more confused than ever about what to use. I am one of those badly organised people – should have made this decision months ago. But your ideas will be discussed with the PP over a pint on Friday!
Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Post by Mithras »

I am hoping to use Martin Barry's If there is this love which he presented at the Summer School - though if not for the entrance song certainly for use during the foot washing. I ordered our copies on Tuesday so hope they will be available for tomorrow's choir rehearsal. Hithero I have bowed to custom by having Holy God we praise thy name or a similarly traditional piece (which is not to discredit these fine and much loved hymns) but I think now I want to push the envelope a bit.

M