Binding

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Binding

Post by Gwyn »

I always promised myself we'd (parish choir) one day sing "I bind unto myself today the strong name of the Trinity" with that gorgeous satb "Christ be with me, Christ within me . . . " before returning to the original melody for a big finish. What a spirit-lifting experience that was.

I've lost/mislaid the current M & L planner so cannot look ahead to find out when it'll be chooseable again. I can't wait until Trinity Sunday 2005 there must be a sooner opportunity.

B.T.W. Is a replacement liturgy planning guide available? Mine could be anywhere.
musicus

Happy to oblige

Post by musicus »

I will try to arrange for a replacement copy to be emailed to you within the next day or two.

Musicus
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Thanks Musicus. That'll be fantastic.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

I would say that the liturgy is trinitarian anyway, so 'I bind unto myself...' need not be caged into Trinity Sunday. It's perhaps not the most appropriate text for, say, the first Sunday of Advent, but I don't see why music has to match the 'theme' of the readings slavishly, as though choosing Laura Ashley wallpaper, curtains, toning carpet etc. When we are selecting and preparing music we obviously take the readings of the day into account; but the Sunday liturgy is part of something wider than just the Lectionary selections... and if we only ever sing particularly Trinitarian things on Trinity Sunday then we're missing out. Perhaps (taking up another thread) you could sing St Patrick's Breastplate on one of these Sundays of Ordinary Time when everyone is just hanging on for their summer break...

What is this summer break everyone keeps going on about, anyway?

pirate
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

With you all the way, Pirate.

Thanks for that.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Binding

Post by presbyter »

Gwyn wrote:I always promised myself we'd (parish choir) one day sing "I bind unto myself today the strong name of the Trinity"

You could always sing Morning Prayer before Mass on a Sunday. "I bind..." could come round every two weeks then, if you wanted. (Weeks 2 and 4 - Sunday Lauds)