PANEL decisions

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: PANEL decisions

Post by Peter Jones »

VML - the rubrics of the former translation mentioned that refrains/acclamations for the people could be inserted into the text of the Exsultet - see a copy of Resurrexit, if you have one, for example. That possibility is not mentioned in the new edition of the Missal but the practice is manifestly still permitted.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
alan29

Post by alan29 »

VML wrote:I thought the whole point of the Exsultet is that it is a proclamation. Let the celebrant/ priest/ deacon/ cantor proclaim!

In that case it is hard to think of a reason for going beyond the Missal music at all..... unless to provide a simple chant for places where that is all that can be managed.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Or for the joy of hearing the McGuinness version – those long sustained notes resonating around a darkened church are magical! :)
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Nick Baty wrote:Or for the joy of hearing the McGuinness version – those long sustained notes resonating around a darkened church are magical! :)

indeed, but we have a thread for the exsultet, lest the champagne drinking bears turn up (where I asked about the McGuinness setting)
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

I may have missed some of the thread but the 1998 Missal (withdrawn) proposed the plainsong Exsultet with interpolations for the people. I have used this for the last 15 years or so and last year used the same interpolations/acclamations into the revised text and it continues to appeal.

I do think that since the purpose of the acclamations is involvement of assembly in this great prayer any further elaboration (instrumental or choral) is unnecessary.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

A Nihil Obstat has now been granted for the first new Catholic hymnal of the permission to publish era. It can go to print.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

Peter Jones wrote:A Nihil Obstat has now been granted for the first new Catholic hymnal of the permission to publish era. It can go to print.

Alas, still no sign that the flaws in the Permission to Publish Process have even been acknowledged, let alone addressed, with apologies, reform and accountability. Actually, still not even the basic courtesy of a communication.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

Peter Jones wrote:A Nihil Obstat has now been granted for the first new Catholic hymnal of the permission to publish era. It can go to print.

Which hymn book is this?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

The green one. But the blue one is not far behind, I gather.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

I’m pleased that an injustice about which Fr. Peter has (rightly) kicked up a fuss has been sorted out. All credit to him. It is significant, though, that this problem has been addressed but the equal injustice of the Permission to Publish Process has not. I intend no criticism of Fr. Peter – for whom I have considerable respect – when I observe that the Conference of Bishops of England and Wales gives the impression that it has more respect for the old boys’ network than matters of principle, honesty and fairness. What a shower they are!
Ian Williams
Alium Music
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

NorthernTenor wrote:I intend no criticism of Fr. Peter – for whom I have considerable respect –

:oops: But not being a member of the PTP procedure/panel and not being a member of any committee connected with that territory of Pimlico to the rear of Victoria Station, I cannot get you even a simple acknowledgement NT.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Southern Comfort wrote:The green one. But the blue one is not far behind, I gather.
And rumour has it that the various "Liturgical" and ordinary editions of various hues could be updated and re-packaged mid-year.
Website
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

This could end the recession. :P
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

[quote="Peter JonesAnd rumour has it that the various "Liturgical" and ordinary editions of various hues could be updated and re-packaged mid-year.[/quote]

Does that mean......? But I thought........? Huh.........? :!: :?
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

Southern Comfort wrote:The green one. But the blue one is not far behind, I gather.

Which hymn books are these -- why the secrecy?