PANEL decisions

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: PANEL decisions

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:Presumably the PANEL, as the copyright agents for ICEL in this country

Really? I very much doubt that this is the case.

The Panel are acting on behalf of the Bishop's Conference, not on behalf of ICEL. If they were acting on behalf of ICEL, it would not be necessary additionally to submit "approved" settings to ICEL for permission to publish.

Indeed SC. I think the procedure comes over as a grey area. The panel act on behalf of the Bishops' Conference. ICEL act on behalf of the Bishops' Conference. The panel are effectively proof-reading for ICEL. So why is further submission to ICEL - in some but not all cases (see Nick Baty's experience above) - necessary?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

presbyter wrote:So why is further submission to ICEL - in some but not all cases (see Nick Baty's experience above) - necessary?

And why did ICEL accept emailed pdfs from me but asked the editors of a worthy tome to submit proofs by post?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Should any forthcoming collection of music for the Mass also contain settings of other, non-Missal texts (e.g. hymns), these texts do indeed need a Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur. Given the canonical residential requirement of obtaining such permissions, it would help matters along if someone with the authority to do so was actually available, don't you think?

So many hoops to jump through............... sigh.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

So, presumably, publishers who include only paraphrases of Missal texts will be in the clear and can carry on producing any amount of crap. Why is it only those who seek to get it right face obstacles?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Nick Baty wrote:So, presumably, publishers who include only paraphrases of Missal texts will be in the clear and can carry on producing any amount of crap. Why is it only those who seek to get it right face obstacles?

Yes. Since these paraphrases are not liturgical texts, they fall outside the Panel's competence and thus don't need to be submitted. In other words, the very phenomenon that the process was designed to eliminate will in practice not be affected by the process at all, while everyone else is, as presbyter pointed out, being made to jump through hoops. It's a strange world.....
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

presbyter wrote:Should any forthcoming collection of music for the Mass also contain settings of other, non-Missal texts (e.g. hymns), these texts do indeed need a Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur. ..................

I have it on good authority that a publisher based in Stowmarket is about to take first steps through the obstacle course ....... As a publisher and purveyor of paraphrases to date, I wonder if new Mass settings will be available solely as separate publications. If Concordat, Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur are needed for collections that contain more than the texts of the Mass, I cannot see permission being granted for mixed collections of ICEL and non-ICEL texts.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

And as there are two publishers based in that area. And, I believe living in the same deanery, although several miles apart.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Nick Baty wrote:And as there are two publishers based in that area......

I can only find Messrs CeeDee Music (UK) ......... so it must be the other one.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Well you would know – as you raised it on here!
Do you mean The Music Sales Group of Bury St Edmunds?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Nick Baty wrote:Do you mean The Music Sales Group of Bury St Edmunds?

I think your satnav - or map-reading - is in error. Bury St Edmunds is not Stowmarket.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

No. But it's in the same deanery!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

presbyter wrote:I have it on good authority that a publisher based in Stowmarket is about to take first steps through the obstacle course

Does Mr Mawby know about this? He is quoted as saying that this publisher was going resolutely to have nothing to do with the process.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Cry of amazement !!! The first England and Wales panel-approved collection of new Music for the Mass is printed and available to buy from Decani Music.

The back cover blurb:

Glory to God is a collection of new music for parishes and for schools. The music, in varied styles, sets the words of the new English translation of the Mass. The contents represent the work of nine composers:

Martin Barry – Director of Music, Saint John’s Cathedral, Salford.
Nick Baty - Parish Musician, Our Lady Immaculate, Everton.
Stephen Dean - Music Adviser, Diocese of East Anglia.
Peter Jones – Parish Priest and Chairman of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy & Music Committee.
Peter Roberts – Parish Musician, Saint Joseph’s, Bedford.
David Saint – Director of Music, Saint Chad’s Cathedral, Birmingham.
Alan Smith - Parish Musician, Holy Redeemer, Pershore.
Mike Stanley – the “M” of CJM Music.
Christopher Walker – former Director of Music at Clifton Cathedral, Bristol; now at St. Paul the Apostle, Westwood, Los Angeles.

Glory to God contains six full Mass settings and further settings of parts of the Mass: the Lord, have mercy; the Glory to God; the Gospel Acclamation; the Acclamations in the Eucharistic Prayer; and the Lamb of God.

All the settings of the texts of the Missal are published with the approval of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, Department of Christian Life and Worship, Permission to Publish Panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

presbyter wrote:Cry of amazement !!! The first England and Wales panel-approved collection of new Music for the Mass is printed and available to buy from Decani Music.

Thanks and congratulations to all involved :D

(Looks outside front door... no, not here yet :( come on Post-person!)
Colin Mawby
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Colin Mawby »

Further to the message about Kevin Mayhew. I have now asked him if he will be submitting music to the censorship panel. He confirms that he will have nothing to do with the process. I hope that in time other composes and publishers will take a similar attitude - this is the best way to speed the inevitable collapse of the current episcopal pantomime. Colin Mawby