Why no postings?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Why no postings?

Post by Hare »

:? Why has no-one posted anything lately?

I felt I had to sign up and ask as I enjoyed reading as a "non-participant"

Has everyone followed that Andrew and lost heart?

H
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Welcome to the post-free forums(fora ?), Hare.

Yes, it is a bit quiet isn't it? Maybe we're just setting into the period of general malaize known liturgically as Ordinary Time.

Stick with us, we talk a good job in here usually.

:D
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome, Hare.

Things usually liven-up at the weekend; we're all too busy with the day jobs during the week :?
contrabordun

Ornery Time

Post by contrabordun »

I was going to post last weekend, I was wondering if anybody else had that 'Well that's Easter out of the way, relax a bit and then blow the dust off Carols for Choirs' feeling.

[apologies if any of what follows is liturgical thoughtcrime - it's just my opinion...]

I do find something incredibly restful about the rolling round of the year; the way the seasons / the weather and the church's year fit together: - Harvest bright with autumn sunshine, All Saints/Souls/Remembrance more sombre, then Advent and Christmas piercing December's gloom and so on through Lent/Springtime to the glories of Trinity and summer sunshine. (None of which, presumably, applies in the southern hemisphere).

Yes, I know the year doesn't start in September, but it seems to be taking me an awful lot of years to get out of the academic year way of thinking - and if you follow the very sensible advice on another forum and take a break from full scale music in August, I find it's very hard to think of September as continuing from July, and Advent as the start.

I also have a sense which is so vivid that I can almost feel it of some sort of 'downward' slope to Christmas and then 'upward' to Easter, with a plateau from there to Trinity. Is this deranged babble or does anybody else have any idea of what I'm driving at and experience similar - or indeed radically different - sensations?
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Welcome to the forum, Hare.

As a fairly regular contributor, I've been feeling guilty that I haven't posted for a while. I've been struggling with pressure of my day job, together with all the other things I do. I'm a bit of a doer - not happy unless I'm busy and yet finding it impossible, as indeed it is, to do everything well. Going through a phase of 'something's gotta give' my contributions to the forum have 'given'. And yet I've still tuned in regularly and, like you, Hare, have been disappointed at the lull.

To be truthful, I'm feeling really jaded just now. It was interesting to read what contrabordun said about the year rolling on and the rise and fall of its path. I always find the post Easter season run down to Summer very hard to be motivated about. The music planning for this period seems to lack enthusiasm or imagination and it feels like a bit like a 'filling in' exercise. What Mass setting can we sing to limp through to our Summer break? I feel similarly lacklustre about work and about most things I am involved with. I'd rather just hibernate for a few weeks, wake up during a warm summer break and spend some time recharging my batteries, ready to start afresh in September at the beginning of a new year (yes, I still think of a year in academic terms too).

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for sparking enthusiasm for this 'bit' of the Church Year?

TT
Maz

Post by Maz »

I always find the post Easter season run down to Summer very hard to be motivated about.

But it's the First Holy Communion season guys! How could you be bored? Time to ooh and ahh at those sweet and not so sweet kids in white dresses and bow ties (usually the girls wear the dresses and the boys the bow ties in my experience), those kids and parents who, strangely enough, you never catch sight of again after their 'special day' :?. Am I just being cynical???

Maz
musicus

Post by musicus »

Fellow posters (dormant or otherwise),

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:As a fairly regular contributor, I've been feeling guilty that I haven't posted for a while.

There's quite enough guilt attached to Catholicism already, without this forum adding to it.

In the general scheme of responsibilities - God, other people, myself - this forum must come pretty near the bottom of the list.

So, by the powers invested in me by admin, I absolve you all from any such forum-related guilt. 8)

Musicus
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Hare, we were just waiting for someone new to come along and tell us to get posting again!

Thanks.