Responsorial Psalm - who sings?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

contrabordun

Responsorial Psalm - who sings?

Post by contrabordun »

Hi all,

Is there any particular reason why the verses of the Responsorial Psalm should be sung solo? GIRM seems only to envisage either solo + response or through-sung.

I do the verses as full choir, in unison, with organ acc., to chant settings (a Mayhew-McCrimmon thing from 1974). I've done that since I started, at least partly to get the choir thinking, breathing and singing as a single entity, thinking about line, thinking about word stresses etc.

Not that I have any intention of changing it (it works for us, and I can think of worse liturgical abuses*) - just curious to hear what people think.

*frinstance, my habit of doing the Missal Communion Antiphon to an Anglican single chant.
Paul Hodgetts
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Responsorial Psalm - who sings?

Post by Nick Baty »

GIRM par 61 says: "The entire congregation remains seated and listens but, as a rule, takes part by singing the response, except when the Psalm is sung straight through without a response." And CTM par 162 says: "In the direct form...the cantor, or the whole assembly together, sings the verses consecutively".

I can't really imagine the responsorial psalm verses sung by the choir. It is part of the Liturgy of the Word and, therefore, proclaimed by the cantor of the psalm from the lectern. The focus of the assembly is on the lectern so, for me, it would feel odd to leave it vacant at this point. Also, proclaiming the psalm from the lectern shows the difference in the functionality the psalm in the liturgy of the word and the psalm as a gathering song or a communion processional.

And while I'm ranting (blame the third scotch) I really think we should give the assembly more meat at this point. Some settings give them a good sing. Others appear to say: "And here's a bit for you lot in the cheap seats".

Perhaps we should be setting our psalms with extended refrains – not by adding words but by repetition of those words or phrases which are most pertinent to the day.

Time for the fourth (or is it the fifth?) scotch.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Yes, I'd wondered about the empty ambo bit, but what about
GIRM 61 also wrote:Hence, the psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place
Paul Hodgetts
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Acoustically, it is much more difficult to grasp the text when sung by a group of voices than when sung by a single voice, unless the group is very well drilled. Most aren't. The Americans even have a tradition of an SATB choir chanting the verses, and it is often intolerable both from the point of view of ensemble and from that of comprehensibility. Add in a bevy of competing vibratos and you have a recipe for disaster.... That can also be true even of a unison group, especially if Mrs Thing is singing con belto as well as bel canto and everyone else is trying to stay on pitch while she is wobbling around everywhere.

The norm is that a single psalmist sings, in my view. However, when apprentice cantors are learning their stuff it can often be useful to have them at the ambo with a second, more experienced person. Safety in numbers, and all that. I've even sometimes used three cantors together, and it can work well, especially if you are training child cantors.

As far as the empty ambo is concerned, it all depends on where the cantor is coming from. We have had this discussion before, I seem to recall.

If, for example, the choir or music group are positioned on the opposite side of the sanctuary from the ambo and the cantor is coming from there, the 'Great Trek' across the front of the sanctuary to the ambo can be a major distraction. Much better to use a music desk on the same side of the sanctuary as the choir.

If the cantor is sitting in the congregation, different principles may apply, especially if the cantor is actually the song leader rather than just the psalmist, and is in position for most of all of the Mass. In that scenario, it makes less sense to me to move from the cantor desk to the ambo just for one or two items and then back again to the cantor desk for the rest of the Mass. You've already established a visible point of reference as well as an aural one, so why not stick to it?
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Where might be considered "another suitable place"? (Posted before I'd seen the above from SC.)
Southern Comfort

Nick Baty wrote:Where might be considered "another suitable place"?

The cantor's music desk, as just mentioned, or even (in the case of a cantor with a disability) at the foot of the sanctuary step with a hand-held mike, as parishes do with readers who can't access the ambo. Pastoral reasons are going to dictate what is best.

Unsuitable places include the organ console and the choir loft at the back of the church.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Southern Comfort wrote:You've already established a visible point of reference as well as an aural one, so why not stick to it?

But we've also established the ambo as the visible/aural point of reference for the proclamation of the Word. It is the focal point at this stage in the liturgy. The psalmist's movement to the ambo shows that this is part of the Liturgy of the Word, not just a musical interlude. The cantor will sing the verses of the communion psalm, for example, from the cantor's desk/stand/perch but the movement to the ambo/lectern for the responsorial psalm shows this is different, other. Apologies, am on the 7th or 8th scotch now – and I talk complete *beep* when sober!

PS Agree with you about psalmists/readers with disabilities.

Southern Comfort wrote:Unsuitable places include the organ console and the choir loft at the back of the church.

Although I have seen this done in a few places. Made me feel as though I was at a party with someone who'd been barred trying to join in the fun!
Southern Comfort

Nick Baty wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:You've already established a visible point of reference as well as an aural one, so why not stick to it?

But we've also established the ambo as the visible/aural point of reference for the proclamation of the Word. It is the focal point at this stage in the liturgy. The psalmist's movement to the ambo shows that this is part of the Liturgy of the Word, not just a musical interlude. The cantor will sing the verses of the communion psalm, for example, from the cantor's desk/stand/perch but the movement to the ambo/lectern for the responsorial psalm shows this is different, other. Apologies, am on the 7th or 8th scotch now – and I talk complete *beep* when sober!

PS Agree with you about psalmists/readers with disabilities.

Well, you quoted GIRM, so obviously the matter is not cut and dried. GIRM obviously thinks that pastoral reasons can modify ideal practice, and so do I ! [Later: no it wasn't you who quoted that bit from GIRM about another suitable place, it was contrabordun — sorry.]

PS: I couldn't begin to drink as much as scotch as that, but I will drink you under the table with red wine !
Last edited by Southern Comfort on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

So, SC, if I've read you aright, there's nothing wrong in principle, provided that several hard-to-do things are being done (I'm not saying they are, mind you). (NB We're neither in a choir loft, nor at the back :wink:)

Although, I have, on occasion, cantored psalms from a position that was BOTH at the organ console (wasn't going to do it unaccompanied, for goodness' sake) and in a west gallery. (Facing west, and unmiked, to boot). Not the most satisfactory arrangement.
Last edited by contrabordun on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hodgetts
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Southern Comfort wrote:GIRM obviously thinks that pastoral reasons can modify ideal practice, and so do I!

And I'm sure you're right. But, apart from the example of people with disabilities which you cite above, I can't think of a good pastoral reason for moving one part of the Liturgy of the Word to another place. (Well, it's possible that I can but if one of our psalmists reads this she'll use it as an excuse to stay with the choir for the psalm!)
Southern Comfort

I know some parishes where the 1st reader and the psalmist go to the ambo together (the choir from which the psalmist comes is on the opposite side of the church to the ambo). They bow together to the altar, and then the reader goes to the ambo and the psalmist sits down on a stool or chair behind. When the reading is over, reader and psalmist swap places. When the psalm is over, they both go to the middle and bow to the altar, together with the 2nd reader if it is a Sunday, and then return to their places while the 2nd reader goes to the ambo. The Gospel Acclamation is led from the music desk.

I think this is much neater than the cantor setting off on her or his own all the way across in front of what in a large church may be a rather long altar step.

We do seem to be getting off the topic of who sings the psalm and focusing on where they sing it from..... <slapped wrists off>
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

You know, SC, in our long relationship on this board, I think this is the first time we've ever disagreed – something to celebrate, I'm sure :D – and I've always valued your willingness to share your knowledge and experience!
Southern Comfort wrote:We do seem to be getting off the topic of who sings the psalm and focusing on where they sing it from.....
I'm not sure that it is that far off-topic. I've witnessed choirs singing the psalm from the choir loft at the back of the church. For me, that's about as far as one can get from the purpose of the responsorial psalm. But the whisky bottle is looking far emptier than it was when we started this discussion – perhaps it's time for a final slurp and bed!
Southern Comfort wrote:[Later: no it wasn't you who quoted that bit from GIRM about another suitable place, it was contrabordun — sorry.]
No apology needed – this is a friendly glass-in-hand discussion.
Southern Comfort wrote:PS: I couldn't begin to drink as much as scotch as that, but I will drink you under the table with red wine !
You're on – but I do tend to start crying after the third bottle!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Now you are off-topic! :lol:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

In the place where I fulfil my obligation the psalm is sung (when it is not omitted) by the whole choir. The result is an incomprehensible mush as it is rarely all synchronous.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

docmattc wrote:In the place where I fulfil my obligation...

Sounds like you don't much like going there! :(