Kevin Donovan Memorial Lecture

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I assume some of us have heard about the second Kevin Donovan Memorial Lecture, taking place at Heythrop at 5pm on Friday 11 March.

The flyer I have received gives the following details:

HEYTHROP COLLEGE,
UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
KENSINGTON SQUARE LONDON
Friday March 11th 2011
at 5pm

Fr J-Glenn Murray SJ
(Washington, DC):
“I Got a Crown”:
The Soul and Genius of Black Worship

Fr. John Baldovin SJ gave the first Kevin Donovan Memorial Lecture in September 2009, and we are now able to present a further lecture in his honour. We are delighted to have Fr J-Glenn Murray SJ as our speaker. Fr Murray was the principal drafter of "Plenty Good Room," a document from the United States Bishop’s Committee on the Liturgy and the Secretariat for African American Catholics, and former Director of the Office for Pastoral Liturgy in the Diocese of Cleveland from 1995 to 2007. He currently serves as Parochial Vicar at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Church in Washington, DC.

In the age of a multi-cultural realities, it may serve us well to remember the words of Henry Mitchell, a noted Black African-American homiletician, who has suggested that it is “difficult to kill culture.” Indeed, it is impossible. It is a reality that the Church has embraced since time out of memory and particularly in the post Vatican II document, Varietates Legitimae: Inculturation and the Roman Liturgy. This lecture proposes to examine the nature of inculturation generally and the soul and genius of the Black African-American Liturgical Tradition, specifically. From the singing of our song to shouting, “Lord, have mercy”; from serving a mighty God to breaking bread on our knees to going forth that our living not be in vain—is the subject of the evening. The genius of the Roman Rite is meant for the whole Church. Likewise, the soul and genius of a particular people is meant, not for a particular people alone, but for the whole Church as well. That is the genius of inculturation. All are welcome. All benefit. So please join us in an evening of prayer and praise, laughter and liveliness—an experience of learning, loving, and living our Eucharistic faith.

ENTRANCE IS FREE, BUT PLEASE NOTE THE NUMBER OF PLACES IS LIMITED: Write to

ANDREW CAMERON-MOWAT SJ (DONOVAN LECTURE)
HEYTHROP COLLEGE, KENSINGTON SQUARE,
LONDON W8 5HN

Or email at:
a.cameron-mowat@heythrop.ac.uk
with DONOVAN LECTURE as the subject, to reserve your place.

If you have not heard Fr J-Glenn before, I can highly recommend him as a liturgist, a musician, and a dynamic speaker.