The New Texts: Formation (discussion)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: The New Texts: Formation (discussion)

Post by presbyter »

HallamPhil wrote:I also assured folk that a supplement for Mass Ordinaries (which had been accepted by the Bishops Panel) would be offered by Decani Music.

Supplement? There's more than that coming out from Decani!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

presbyter wrote:
HallamPhil wrote:I also assured folk that a supplement for Mass Ordinaries (which had been accepted by the Bishops Panel) would be offered by Decani Music.

Supplement? There's more than that coming out from Decani!

presbyter, you are certainly correct. However, the Decani Music website today was still only advertising a forthcoming supplement. A revised hymnal will be further down the road. It's also worth noting that McCrimmon will be doing the same: supplement first, revised hymnal later down the line.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Of course there is more coming from Decani Music than a supplement to Laudate but the fear expressed last night in one deanery of Hallam (and I suspect felt elsewhere) was that since so many parishes in Hallam use Laudate they might have to re-purchase Laudate in order to provide for the revised texts. I was working in Blackburn Diocese with Decani Music's Stephen Dean over the weekend and he confirmed the intended provision of a supplement. He was also able to share a brochure referencing other resources available through Decani. I have not checked Decani's website.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Is there a need for a supplement?
Is there a need to include service music in any hymnal?
Of the many settings in Laudate (and CFE) there are just two we would use – and these were being sung from memory long before we could afford to buy Laudate.
Surely all one needs is a copy for the cantor and one for the accompanist!
And if this makes little sense, that's because I've spent the evening drinking lots of lovely rioja with some very lovely people!
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

The night is so young. Why have you stopped?

One of the interesting comments last night centred on there being little change in some elements eg Holy, holy. However this will not be the case with memorial acclamations and Gloria.

Try another bottle!
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Well that's got everybody guessing as to what gems Decani and McCrimmon are about to publish :lol:

So what are Messrs Mayhew up to?
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Mayhew? Who dat?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote: However, the Decani Music website today was still only advertising a forthcoming supplement.

I think Decani must be waiting for panel decisions. There are rumours of a new collection and someone sent me this. Nice mosaics. i wonder where they are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JW

Post by JW »

NorthernTenor wrote:
Still nothing for Southwark (please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). The series of talks about the new translation arranged by the Diocese (e.g. at Canterbury) don't seem to address the needs and interests of parish musicians.

On the other hand ... perhaps this has been in the air long enough now for those of us with an interest to get our own thoughts in order. A shame, though.

Surprising really, given that the Southward Directory lists 3 Cathedral musicians, all with MAs from Oxford or Cambridge - presumably they do not have a wider diocesan remit. Alternatively we have Fr Alan McLean and Mag Shepherd at Holy Trinity Dockhead and Fr Gerard Bradley at the seminary.

Why isn't anything happening? Are there some politics going on here?
JW
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Have now completed 3 first sessions of the six deanery double sessions I have scheduled so far. Average attendance has been 36 musicians including 2/3 priests. We started with airing what people have heard/already know then moved on to look at Missal tones. Then we looked briefly at revised settings - Creation (Haugen), Hope (Farrell), Celtic Liturgy (Walker), German (Schubert) and commented on a few others. Finally I introduced my 'New Wine' setting looking at Glory to God and Eucharistic Acclamations. I urged consideration of strategies for implementation. the second sessions will look at music in more detail and agree strategies.

One question to which I have no answer is whether such settings as New English are being revised. I don't use it myself but this is wheresome parishes are.
Southern Comfort

HallamPhil wrote:Have now completed 3 first sessions of the six deanery double sessions I have scheduled so far. Average attendance has been 36 musicians including 2/3 priests. We started with airing what people have heard/already know then moved on to look at Missal tones. Then we looked briefly at revised settings - Creation (Haugen), Hope (Farrell), Celtic Liturgy (Walker), German (Schubert) and commented on a few others. Finally I introduced my 'New Wine' setting looking at Glory to God and Eucharistic Acclamations. I urged consideration of strategies for implementation. the second sessions will look at music in more detail and agree strategies.

One question to which I have no answer is whether such settings as New English are being revised. I don't use it myself but this is wheresome parishes are.

What is New English? Gregory Murray's New English People's Mass? If so, the answer is Yes. It has been revised.

Other settings not mentioned in your post which have been revised: Gathering Mass, Coventry Gloria, Coventry Acclamations
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Thanks SC for the additions. I suspect the nquiry was about the Gregory Murray. Do you happen to know who will be publishing this?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

HallamPhil wrote:Thanks SC for the additions. I suspect the nquiry was about the Gregory Murray. Do you happen to know who will be publishing this?

McCrimmon still have the current version available to purchase on their website - so I suppose it will be McCrimmon.
Southern Comfort

presbyter wrote:
HallamPhil wrote:Thanks SC for the additions. I suspect the nquiry was about the Gregory Murray. Do you happen to know who will be publishing this?

McCrimmon still have the current version available to purchase on their website - so I suppose it will be McCrimmon.

Yes, that is my information.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

SC mentions that the Gathering Mass has been revised - as this was written for Northampton diocese many moons ago and our congregation seem to know it - who has published it and where is it available?