Fr Eugene Monaghan IC, RIP

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Fr Eugene Monaghan IC, RIP

Post by Mithras »

Eugene Monaghan of the Institute of Charity (Rosminians), priest and liturgical musician, died in the early hours of Monday after a long illness. He produced musical settings for the entire three-year cycle of psalms and gospel acclamations as well as a number of Mass settings. Before assuming a parish ministry at, initially, St Peter's in Cardiff he was Head of Music at Ratcliffe College for 20 years but continued after, with his superiors' encouragement, a music ministry, chiefly his composing. He was also a dab hand at jazz piano, directing the music for a number of Christmas pantomimes at St Peter's.

When I first came to St Peter's as organist and choimaster in 1989 he very soon befriended me and envouraged my own composition; often, after a day of working on music we would repair to his room for a much-appeciated glass of whisky and (in those less-enlightened days) a few cigarettes!

May he rest in peace.

M
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Fr Eugene Monaghan IC, RIP

Post by Gwyn »

Ah, just rummaging about the forum I noticed this post, I'd missed it when it was first posted.

He was a super chap, at the forefront of desk-top music engraving. Quite a sense of humour too as I recall from one particular CAMRAG day at St. Peter's