Reviving the traditions of yesteryear....

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Reviving the traditions of yesteryear....

Post by oopsorganist »

Appended to recommendations for the re workings/wordings of an organ restoration request for funding from funders
(that made no sense)
OK, suggestions made by expert for an application for funding

*Give some thought to the revival of music traditions of yesteryear

Wonder what that means.
uh oh!
lesley wright

Re: Reviving the traditions of yesteryear....

Post by lesley wright »

Don't know, but it feels like a bit of an insult!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

They usually ask that the instrument be available for others (including students) and for recitals! Any use?
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

More use of organs as opposed to music groups :?:
JW

Post by JW »

More use of village musicians like fiddlers instead of organs?

Using a human to pump the organ instead of those new fangled electic motors?

More use of a cappella singing?

Sir Richard Runciman Terry's Mass in F Major?

Dies Irae at Funerals?
JW
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Exactly exactly

there is lots of sheet music in the Vestry - I might get it out and hand it round.

or maybe use last years music choices?

Grrrrrrrrrr
Yes we are asked to provide outlines of community engagement, educational value and further development of the use of the organ. Rather unfortunately there are plenty of organs around these parts, with plenty of recitals and what have you.
Further advice to us is to enlist our primary school in a music programme and invite a boys choir to sing in our church occasionally.
I do know from googling around that we can put in for more bucks if we can make it a project which, for one example, promotes community cohesion/health and well being such like good things. And the more elaborate our plans the more money we can apply for.
I am making a list of things I would like. A parish hall, lots of ICT, a paid choral director (Gospel style) er, er
It all comes down to how many people could be involved in running any further activities associated with such developments. And that is, let me see, counts with eyes shut - er, one. Me.
I do wonder if it would just be easier to get a local organ builder to clean and sort out the organ without all this performance and without the services of an external expert.
Thanks for listening!
uh oh!
musicus

Post by musicus »

I enjoyed that, JW. Any more? How about "Slaves to pump the water organ"?
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

I suppose that, these days, any mention of pulsator organum would lead to immediate arrest!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

I saw the organ a while ago. Didn't have time to play it even after an event in its favour... but it was pink! You could start by arresting the decorator.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Phil, I so want to make a comment about pink organs but I fear the bear – so I won't! :D
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I want to revive the tradition at junior seminary whereby the priests would all be catapulted through the sacristy door at 7.30 am each to their several altars to "say" mass. First one back got the crispiest bacon at breakfast. Unbeaten record 12 minutes.
Ah, those were the days when all was well with the liturgy and beauty and decorum ruled supreme.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

We had a priest who would say to we servers as he looked at his watch, "Come on, lads, lets time it". His record was 30" longer than your chap, but he did have to administer communion to 20 people too!
JW

Post by JW »

Ah, Junior Seminary!

Dropping off and snoring during morning meditation (not me I hasten to add!)

We had a priest who used to swap his chasuble with that laid out for another priest if he thought the other was nicer!

Midnight Mass processions, setting fire to the cotta of the acolyte in front.

Being assured by the sacristan, when practicing music after dark that the chapel was haunted. Not as atmospheric as practicing in later years with a coffin in the church though - and the door had to be kept locked.

And reading the bible during meals - I still can't pronounce 'Nebucha wot's 'its name' or spell it. I did learn the Rule of St Augustine off by heart though (read every Friday lunchtime) but I've forgotten it now.

I also got caught smoking tea with a clay pipe in the pigsty - but perhaps I'm getting off topic - are we brave enough for a 'seminary confessions' thread??????????????? :wink: .
JW
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Well we should broaden it to "Confessions of an altar server" to include those of us who were allowed to remain at normal school. (Praise the Lord for Harold Wilson!).

Tell me, JW, did you ever hide anything in another server's cassock pocket? We had one chap who was known to sneeze like mad as soon as the incense got going at Benediction. We hid a carrot in his pocket. Incense went. He sneezed. Pulled out his hankie and said carrot bounced across the sanctuary.

Still, I don't think this will help Oops with her large pink organ. And the bear is lurking!
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Nick Baty wrote:
Still, I don't think this will help Oops with her large pink organ. And the bear is lurking!

So is the Doc!! Entertaining as this is, can we try and help Oops with her organ restoration appeal? I have played said instrument and it definitely has its quirks! (not least its colour, and its flat, parallel and, if memory serves, short, pedal board)