Psallite online

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Psallite online

Post by Nick Baty »

I'm probably a tad behind here, but I see that two Psallite collection are available on Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/album/3XJyM7H4wCLyKhf45npgEu
and
http://open.spotify.com/album/6M2NioQAFz9V7INHF4Dcy1
Southern Comfort

Re: Psallite online

Post by Southern Comfort »

Something wrong here?

The two titles are listed as being by Paul Inwood, but they aren't: they're by the Collegeville Composers Group, five composers who include PI. And why only two titles? Where are the others?

I can't get anything to link. Clicking on links only gives me a message that these links aren't associated with any known programme, or that my browser doesn't have the protocol to open them. Can you actually buy copies from these pages somehow? I thought you could only get copies from places like Decani Music and Magnificat Music without breaking the law. What is spotify anyway?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Spotify is one of the better-known online music downloading services. See http://www.spotify.com/uk/
If I were one of the Psallite composers, I would want to find out how these tracks have come to be on Spotify.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Southern Comfort

Thanks for the link, musicus. I see that this is a downloading tracks site, not an Amazon-type site for purchasing sheet music, which is what I had thought Nick's post meant.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

The links take you to the album, rather than to a specific track.

Further to Musicus's comments, Spotify is much more than a downloading service – it's effectively free request radio – don't think I've lifted down a CD in months! (You only pay if you don't want the ads!)

And v useful for those of us in education – if I'm at home preparing tracks for a lesson, I simply keep them in a folder then, when I log on in a classroom, there they all are! And at no cost!

Perhaps the greatest joy is when hunting for a CPE Bach Cello Concerto (for example) you can hear and compare several different recordings.

I was surprised to find Psallite on there because there hasn't been much liturgical music until recently – now there's heaps of Marty Haugen and, more recently, Taizé. Also, interesting to hear what various bods have done with items like Ernie Sands's Song of Farewell – Ahem!

But, be warned, it can be addictive. Searched a G&S item one night and ended up listening to five complete operas!
Southern Comfort

If Nick is right, these people sound like pirates who are stealing other people's intellectual property.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Worry not, SC. It' simply a commercial radio station – except you only listen to what you want.
Last edited by Nick Baty on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

On the Spotify website it says:

"All the music on Spotify has been licensed from and delivered by labels or other rightsholders. Usually when an artist asks us how their music ended up on Spotify, it turns out that the artist’s music has been licensed and delivered by a label or aggregator without the artist knowing about this. If you are positive that nobody else could have licensed your music to Spotify, then please contact us."
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

And at least one diocese is providing links from its music committee blog to demonstrate suggested items: http://livmus.blogspot.com/ (Only problem is that, from Ash Wednesday onwards, the Spotify links are refusing to appear in green!)