The New Texts: A Seminar for Composers

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: The New Texts: A Seminar for Composers

Post by presbyter »

docmattc wrote:
presbyter wrote:I suspect that Rome would find the possibility of using any book which contained material unsuitable or not approved for Catholic use to be unacceptable. Its role is to preserve the purity of the faith and of the Rite (even if it some may think its being over zealous in doing so) and probably doesn't give two hoots about the economic reality of producing a product with as wide a market as possible.

Rome is possibly unlikely to understand that there is no specifically Catholic publisher of church music in these islands. As SC has noted, publishers have the freedom to publish whatever material they wish. There's no equivalent here, for example, of OCP, who are directly linked to the Archdiocese of Oregon. Yet if - for ecumenical and economic reasons - UK publishers might now produce a mixed bag of current ICEL / current ICEL adapted or modified / new ICEL (adapted if necessary according to guidelines) settings of the Mass, that seems to me more than a little absurd. I suspect that should such circumstances arise, any instruction such as "Catholics stop here", will be ignored, as will any Roman or episcopal injunction to do as one is told. Kevin Mayhew is on record (somewhere in a back edition of The Tablet?) that "favourites" such as the Anderson Gloria and the Israeli Mass will continue to be published. If these popular ditties remain in print, people will continue to use them.

In regard to music, I cannot immediately see how the shift in mentality that Liturgiam Authenticam requires can be easily embraced by many (most?) parish musicians and I'm not sure that a day's seminar for composers will have much effect either. Yet doubtless the topic must be aired and perhaps under an umbrella of gradually developing a more liturgical spirituality among all the faithful. I'll put a thinking cap on.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Nick Baty wrote:
docmattc wrote:This is probably what Liturgiam Authenticam was asking for [an officially approved Catholic song book] when it wanted Bishop's conferences to "provide for the publication of a directory or repertory of texts intended for liturgical singing. This document shall be transmitted for the necessary recognitio to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments"
I might have completely misunderstood this, but I thought the intention was to produce exactly that, "texts", eg Psalm 94 as a Gathering Song, without actually defining the musical setting. Didn't we have a discussion on this under Core Repertoire?

I think we'll go off topic if we diverge towards a Catholic song book. Yet I believe some work was done a while ago for the Bishops on looking at texts.... not with the intention of producing a hymnal though. Just looking at texts that might possibly form a core repertoire (and not just for the Mass - all of our rites).

I think the seminar for composers is of insufficient length to cover this matter and, as ursa major has noted, the days need to stay on topic, lest they fragment into general and unfocussed discussion. (That's not to stop Nick starting a thread on the possibility of a Catholic Song Book, if he wants to!)
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

However - rather than a Catholic Song Book - or a mixed bag hymnal - what about a new edition (or a volume three) of Music for the Mass? I'll leave Nick to start a thread.........
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Tempting Presbyter. But if, as I understand it, the complete Missal is actually rather a long way off – isn't it just the Order of Mass which is on it's way? – then I think such a publication could be obsolete as soon as it hits the shops. Hence my earlier question about the need to know what's happening, and when, and my suggestion for a resurrection of those wonderful old imprints from the 70s which were able to respond quickly to the ever-changing environment.

Music for the Mass (I remember what a great treasure it was at the time) was a collection of items from many of those imprints, a great number of which have since found their way into Laudate and CFE. I still have Inwood's Glory, glory on yellow paper, a manuscript of Sands' Sing of the Lord's Goodness, Magnificat editions of early Farrell items etc etc etc.

You can't beat that sifting process of trying stuff on the ground. Perhaps now is the time for composers to start sharing their work for the new translation of the Mass and of the new Grail psalms. I'd be more than happy to pilot their work in our parish.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

HallamPhil wrote:Am I missing something or are we still waiting for an official text to be approved for use within our Conference? Is not much of this mere conjecture however reasonably informed by the US Conference and insider knowledge of our own. If I am incorrect where is the text posted?

The current position is that we do have a final Order of Mass. However, this has not been made public because our altar missal is also being published for Scotland and Australia, neither of whom have, as far as I am aware, a final Order of Mass. Additionally, as already mentioned, we do not yet know whether Rome is approving or rejecting the request for additional penitential rites, etc, etc. We need to wait until Rome sorts itself out. (Hmmmm)
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Nick Baty wrote:I still have Inwood's Glory, glory on yellow paper...

Yay! We still have this too. It's actually known as the Yellow Gloria in our choir!

I digress, I know, before I'm told off. :D
TT
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

It used to be universally known as "The Yellow Peril" !
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:.... "The Yellow Peril" !

Tis a great piece but I've not used it for some years now. Has it been adapted for "new ICEL"? Would be worth doing - imho.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Well, the info's now out on the Liturgy Office website:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Missal/ ... ndex.shtml
With Guide for composers:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Missal/ ... -Guide.pdf
And Permission to publish form.
Only quibble is that some of the links take you back to where you started but I'm sure that will be corrected later today.
Right, time for a coffee and a good read.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

I may have missed something, but is Alan Griffiths still speaking at the London seminar, in view of his "sacking" ?
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

Hare wrote:I may have missed something, but is Alan Griffiths still speaking at the London seminar, in view of his "sacking" ?

The termination of Canon Griffiths' contract with ICEL does not affect his national, diocesan or local appointments, nor the respect in which he is held in this country and elsewhere.

He will be speaking at both the London and Manchester seminars.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Thank you. :idea:
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Nick Baty wrote:Well, the info's now out on the Liturgy Office website

And it all looks a lot less complicated than I originally thought. Fairly clear instructions about what to include in the score and a statement that "it is expected that music may be published from 6 months prior to the first permitted use of the texts". I suppose than could mean the end of May.

Will UK publishers now experience the rush that's been going on in the US. And is the panel ready to be inundated.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Nick Baty wrote:Well, the info's now out on the Liturgy Office website:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Missal/ ... ndex.shtml
With Guide for composers:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Missal/ ... -Guide.pdf

Perhaps we would be well advised to watch this space as to what will be presented at the seminars. Surely the scope of the Guide for Composers cannot be covered in its entirety in the afternoon sessions.

I wonder if we are going to learn how to compose a "Refrain Sanctus" and even how to "pronounce" it. :wink:
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

I am not trying to be awkward, but it is frustrating that the proof reading is sloppy in e.g.5.18 Using the Liturgical Text, it is clear regarding what may not be replaced, then in the final 'bullet point' we have a word missing:'...a suitable or an appropriate song may sung,..' :(