Sunday Worship R4 from Cambridge 7 November

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Sunday Worship R4 from Cambridge 7 November

Post by Mithras »

I thought that this was a first class broadcast, very musical and uplifting generally. Did others catch it?

Mithras
oopsorganist

Re: Sunday Worship R4 from Cambridge 7 November

Post by oopsorganist »

I heard it as I woke up. Didn't manage to wake me completely though. Lots of music true.
Later I googled the parish - they are big into Latin revival stuff. Have a scholarship thingie for their choir too. How the other half live eh?

Jerusalem the Golden at the end of Mass. Really cheery stuff. A bit melodramatic for my taste. I am sure I would have enjoyed it had I attended the event, as a bystander.
uh oh!
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Members who were at Summer School 2009 in Ditchingham may remember the parish priest of OLEM, Mgr Tony Rogers giving a keynote lecture and seminar.

The styles of worhsip in the parish are extremely varied, from Latin Schola to contemporary group where "ability to read music is an asset, but by no means necessary". I would have liked to hear far more in Ditchingham about how one parish holds all these together, demonstating a great breadth of liturgical styles under one roof.

I'm not sure it would necessarily true to portray the parish as "big into Latin Revival" but music of all forms certainly play a significant part in the role of the parish. Given that the Anglican choral tradition is alive and well in the area (Kings College Chapel being just five minutes walk up Hills Road and along Market St, to name just one), it is right that the Catholic Church in the area has a musical tradition which is in some way comparable. In terms of musicians, the city has something of an embarassment of riches (which I can assure you doesn't stray out as far as me, just 15 miles away!)
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Oh Bless !
Keeping up with the Liturgical Jones? But we got nay women Bishs. We could kidnap them instead. :lol:

I don't doubt you Doc, that the church in question has a breath of style, I just noted what I briely scanned, when googling. It was a far cry from the dross we churned out on Sunday. But then, I guess, horses for courses. Or no?
But Jerusalem the Golden. Or did I dream that?
"And they who with their Leader, have conquered in the fight...... " Ho hum.
uh oh!