The trump of God

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

John Ainslie

The trump of God

Post by John Ainslie »

You may well be considering using 'Rejoice! the Lord is King' on the feast of Christ the King later this month. You may not know that there is an additional final verse to this Wesley hymn, complete with a non-standard refrain. The whole verse is unaccountably missing from all current Catholic hymnals, the English Hymnal (and NEH) and Hymns A&M. Here it is:

5 Rejoice in glorious hope;
Jesus the Judge shall come,
and take His servants up
to their eternal home:
We soon shall hear the archangel's voice;
the trump of God shall sound, rejoice!

This adds a very appropriate eschatological extension entirely in keeping with Lectionary readings and the end-point of the liturgical year.

Now of course ideally you should have a trumpet playing, at least for this verse. See the realisation in Praise the Lord Revised by "Redmund Shaw" (I wonder who he is?), where you will also find these words. (Wesley wrote yet another verse for this hymn, including the lines 'and every bosom swell / with pure seraphic joy', which you might consider less suitable for modern use.)

While on a November theme, see also 'In our day of thanksgiving one psalm let us offer', which, slightly amended to 'In our day of remembrance this hymn let us offer', I use as a hymn for deceased parishioners. You'll find it in the New English Hymnal (208).
Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Re: The trump of God

Post by Mithras »

John Ainslie wrote:See the realisation in Praise the Lord Revised by "Redmund Shaw" (I wonder who he is?),

Could he be related to Martin and Geoffrey Shaw I wonder?

I still have my copy of PTL and use this version when I play the hymn. The coda is super, very Handelian!

(ps I am still wondering, John, whose idea it was to include that eccentric version of Anima Christe! :? )

Mithras
musicus

Post by musicus »

John Ainslie wrote:See the realisation in Praise the Lord Revised by "Redmund Shaw" (I wonder who he is?)

I think we should be told! (I always understood that all the "unknowns" in PLR were, in fact, the editors in disguise. :wink: )
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

musicus wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:See the realisation in Praise the Lord Revised by "Redmund Shaw" (I wonder who he is?)

I think we should be told! (I always understood that all the "unknowns" in PLR were, in fact, the editors in disguise. :wink: )

Indeed, that thought had crossed my mind too! Perhaps something to do with cats and bags might now seem appropriate! :)
musicus

Post by musicus »

The hymn in question is number 224 in PLR, pace the index, which gives it (at least in my copy) as 244 - a very rare typo in this book.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

musicus wrote:

Ah, that would be telling, and without the assent of my still alive and active co-editors, I am not going to tell!

However, as a diversion - and in answer to a question on a previous thread - I will reveal the genesis of the name of the tune CORPUS CHRISTI FLATS. Some of our editorial meetings were held at Corpus Christi church, Weston-super-Mare, where I was based at the time. The property there includes a pair of large semi-detached houses, one of which is the presbytery and the other is divided into flats for elderly parishioners, known as... We were trying to find a name for a new tune for James Quinn's translation of 'O Salutaris'. CORPUS CHRISTI FLATS, the sign for which my visiting co-editors had noticed earlier in the day, seemed just right for a tune bristling with sharps!

From this you may infer that we enjoyed our editorial work. I leave you to draw whatever conclusions you wish.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

musicus wrote:

I understand that by no means all the 'unknowns' were pseudonyms — e.g. "Peter Jones" was a real person of that name who died in Germany some years ago, and no relation either to our Fr Peter Jones or indeed to Anglican priest Fr (now Canon) Peter Jones, a distinguished former university chaplain and Taizé music enthusiast.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

John Ainslie wrote:

A little over-optimistic perhaps, as in the earlier Pauline corpus?
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

presbyter wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:

A little over-optimistic perhaps, as in the earlier Pauline corpus?

If it's good enough for Paul...

What do we really mean by "thy kingdom come"? What do we mean when we sing this hymn?
Come, O Lord, quickly come,
in our lifetime, in our lifetime,
in our lifetime may it be.

(For 'speedily' in Laudate 103, substitute 'quickly come' throughout.)
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

John Ainslie wrote:While on a November theme, see also 'In our day of thanksgiving one psalm let us offer', which, slightly amended to 'In our day of remembrance this hymn let us offer', I use as a hymn for deceased parishioners.

OK

John Ainslie wrote:You'll find it in the New English Hymnal (208).

I have so found....... and I don't think it's a particularly appropriate text for a Catholic celebration. Much as I hope and daily pray that my deceased parishioners - those who have regularly been "girt" with grace at the altar and those who have not - are suffused with the light of God's glory, I would never make a definitive statement canonising them, as this text seems to do. There would seem to be no need for my parish November Book of the Dead and the November Masses for these Holy Souls in this text's eschatology - IMO.
Vox Americana

Post by Vox Americana »

John Ainslie wrote:the trump of God shall sound, rejoice!

But, over here, trump = botty burp. Does it not over there?

You can't sing that verse in Church, surely. Nor This Joyful Eastertide too: '…till trump from east to west shall wake the dead in number…' I, for one, would be rolling in the aisles, rofl. :oops:
Vox
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

Vox Americana wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:the trump of God shall sound, rejoice!

But, over here, trump = botty burp. Does it not over there?

No, it doesn't. Although wiktionary surprisingly labels this meaning as "UK", my big Chambers' Dictionary makes no reference to such a meaning.

Another case of two nations divided by a common language...
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

presbyter wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:While on a November theme, see also 'In our day of thanksgiving one psalm let us offer', which, slightly amended to 'In our day of remembrance this hymn let us offer', I use as a hymn for deceased parishioners.

I have so found....... and I don't think it's a particularly appropriate text for a Catholic celebration. Much as I hope and daily pray that my deceased parishioners - those who have regularly been "girt" with grace at the altar and those who have not - are suffused with the light of God's glory, I would never make a definitive statement canonising them, as this text seems to do. There would seem to be no need for my parish November Book of the Dead and the November Masses for these Holy Souls in this text's eschatology - IMO.

I would hope that at least some of the deceased parishioners of a 160-year-old parish now "rest in the Lord"! And that most of the others have met the momentary glimpse of glory and the assurance of Gerontius's "take me away". I see nothing incompatible between the rejoicing in hope of this hymn and the need to pray for holy souls.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Vox Americana wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:But, over here, trump = botty burp.

Oh dear - do we have to go there? Next time I audaciously bid seven no trumps at Bridge, I will remember that our transatlantic cousins are referring to farts.

Now - back to Pauline eschatology (much more important) :)
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

presbyter wrote:
Vox Americana wrote:
John Ainslie wrote:But, over here, trump = botty burp.

Oh dear - do we have to go there? Next time I audaciously bid seven no trumps at Bridge, I will remember that our transatlantic cousins are referring to farts.

Now - back to Pauline eschatology (much more important) :)

Seven no trumps, Presbyter? Perhaps you need more fibre in your diet :lol: .