New/Revised Mass Settings - Across the Pond

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Re: New/Revised Mass Settings - Across the Pond

Post by Hare »

I know I said a previous post was my last ever, but I must not go without saying that Alan's post is appreciated, thank you.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

The stay with us, Hare, and we shall have angel cake for tea! :D
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

And thank you, Hare, for your very gracious post. (Please do not leave on my account - I'd had a bad day at work and was grumpy, and I shouldn't have been posting at all!)

Back on-topic (but relevant to the above): I have just returned from a very useful training day in Leeds on the new translation of the Roman Missal, at which it was noted that no less than thirty-seven new musical settings have been submitted to The Committee for approval so far, of which about half are revisions of existing settings. No shortage of material there then! I asked whether this number included American publications (e.g. OCP, GIA etc) and was told that it did not. Apparently, settings from Across the Pond that have been approved for use there may be used here without the need for any further approval process (unless they are actually being re-published here, e.g. in a UK hymn book).
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

I am surprised it's only 37. I had expected it to be many hundreds!
Still, if you told me to drive half-a-mile down the road I wouldn't know when to stop!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Agreed, NIck! I'd have thought there would have been at least a hundred from you alone, you prolific *supply-my-own-bleep* :D :D :D
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Oh, how I wish this were true, Musicus!
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Alan wrote:Apparently, settings from Across the Pond that have been approved for use there may be used here without the need for any further approval process (unless they are actually being re-published here, e.g. in a UK hymn book).

I am reliably informed that the panel in each English-speaking province is working to exactly the same set of rules. However, I'm not too impressed with much that I've seen from the three main publishers in the US.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Nick Baty wrote:I am reliably informed that the panel in each English-speaking province is working to exactly the same set of rules. However, I'm not too impressed with much that I've seen from the three main publishers in the US.

No, they're not, and that's precisely the problem. The UK panel appears to be have a far more restrictive view than the US panel.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

Nick Baty wrote:I am reliably informed that the panel in each English-speaking province is working to exactly the same set of rules.

Southern Comfort wrote:No, they're not, and that's precisely the problem. The UK panel appears to be have a far more restrictive view than the US panel.

It would be good, in the interests of transparency, for the procedures to be made public. Given that the advice from both Bishops' Councils makes it clear that approval, in the case of music, relates soley to textual fidelity, I don't see why there should be any fundamental non-procedural differences.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

I am away in India at the moment but I believe that the procedures are available on the Liturgy Office website.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

They are indeed, Phil. Here’s link.Although there is plenty of wiggle room in the procedure. Having said that, so far I have only heard of publishers being knocked back because of capitalisation and hyphenation. We'll have to wait to see the published editions to see what sort of repetition has been allowed. Does anyone (SC?) have a link to the US guidelines?
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

presbyter wrote:
Anything take your fancy?

Yes.

Where I help out with the music at Mass, we have been learning Dan Schutte's 'Mass of the Savior'.

I think that this will be a huge hit both sides of the pond & Oz & NZ. It is full of lots of good tunes -- esp. 'Save us Savior of the world'.