New/Revised Mass Settings - Across the Pond

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: New/Revised Mass Settings - Across the Pond

Post by johnquinn39 »

Has anyone seen the one from NZ by Douglas Mews?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Interesting. I'm heartened to learn that he is still alive (he emigrated in the late 60s or early 70s, and was not a youngster then).

Not sure about the acclamations in the Eucharistic Prayer:
Sanctus: Aeolian modal
Acc 1: a different form of the same mode; the final phrase relates to the Hosannas in the Sanctus.
Acc 2: looks as if it starts in D minor and ends in F major
Acc 3: B flat major
Amen: D major

It would have been useful to have had a common musical thread, material and key within all of these.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Southern Comfort wrote:Interesting. I'm heartened to learn that he is still alive (he emigrated in the late 60s or early 70s, and was not a youngster then).

Not this Douglas Mews then? This one's only 54.

We're heartened that you're still alive too, SC! :-)
Southern Comfort

mcb wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Interesting. I'm heartened to learn that he is still alive (he emigrated in the late 60s or early 70s, and was not a youngster then).

Not this Douglas Mews then? This one's only 54.

No, this one: http://sounz.org.nz/contributor/composer/1072. He is dead after all — seventeen years ago, I see. I had assumed this mass setting was by him, not by the other one, since he had at least one setting published in England in the 60s, and a number of well-crafted motets; but now I see it must be another Mews, perhaps a relation?

At least I was right about emigration: 1969. And he seems to have had a Colchester connection, so perhaps Bill Tamblyn will know more.
musicus

Post by musicus »

OCP has put up free downloadable PDFs of its people's editions at http://www.ocp.org/newmasssettings/free ... ydownloads
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
noel jones
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Knoxville Tennessee USA

Post by noel jones »

Musica Sacra in the US has posted a number of settings, including my Martyr's Mass - most, if not all the settings, are available for parishes to print and use at no charge, at www.musicasacra.com.

There is a direct link to Martyr's Mass at www.basicchant.com.

noel jones
Southern Comfort

Welcome to the Forum!
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

noel jones wrote:...There is a direct link to Martyr's Mass at http://www.basicchant.com...

I like that. The chant setting of the gloria is one way of getting around the dreadful rhythm of "...peace on earth to people of good will."

I note a Jones has written it. I will have to fit it in between Blaenwern, Cwm Rhondda, Llanfair, Sant Denio etc.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

...and not just any old chant either, but one of the most beautiful Anglican ones...

I love the sweatshirts - will be buying.
Paul Hodgetts
Southern Comfort

noel jones wrote:There is a direct link to Martyr's Mass at http://www.basicchant.com.

noel jones

Just one thing, Noel. Apart from the Gloria, I am mystified by the barring of the music, where virtually all the barlines seem to fall in the wrong place. Is there some secret principle I have not grasped?
noel jones

Post by noel jones »

The bar markings in the chants are there like the quarter bars in chant, as an organizing feature for the people reading it rather than indicating strict time changes. It's a concession to assist people not used to playing and singing from a score without bar lines.

Thanks for the welcome to the list!
Southern Comfort

Yes, but conventionally barlines are placed immediately before a primary musical accent, and yours don't seem to do that at all. They appear to be almost arbitrary — hence the question.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

nazard wrote:... The chant setting of the gloria is one way of getting around the dreadful rhythm of "...peace on earth to people of good will."

Actually isn't the revised text "and on earth peace to people of good will"???

(edited to correct the misattribution of the quotation - musicus, moderator)
noel jones

Post by noel jones »

Yes, they are just there to assist those who need something to assist them in seeing where they are - but not to delineate or indicate any word accents. Possibly the audio files might help - and they are scheduled to be recorded over my a choir soon.

It's really not for a choir or a director that is metrically oriented but rather one that enjoys pursuing singing a melodic flow. It works a capella, unison or in parts.