New/Revised Mass Settings - Across the Pond

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

MaryR

Re: New/Revised Mass Settings - Across the Pond

Post by MaryR »

Hare wrote:
presbyter wrote:I am also aware of new through-settings of the Gloria by Alan Smith and Peter Jones that will be offered for assessment at the seminar for composers on 19th March and yes, Stephen Dean has indeed been busy.

So the day WOULD have been of use to me after all! And I've cancelled now! :evil:

It's not too late to change your mind. :D
Mary
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

MaryR wrote:
Hare wrote:
presbyter wrote:I am also aware of new through-settings of the Gloria by Alan Smith and Peter Jones that will be offered for assessment at the seminar for composers on 19th March and yes, Stephen Dean has indeed been busy.

So the day WOULD have been of use to me after all! And I've cancelled now! :evil:

It's not too late to change your mind. :D

I didn't think it would be :)

However, I cannot now find a deputy to play for the vigil mass that evening, so I couldn't have come anyway :(
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

Hare wrote:

Oh dear. I thought this was going to be a day for composers, not some general kind of thing. The published agenda looks fine to me. Please don't water it down just so as to attract large numbers of people. Time enough for the formation of parish musicians when we have produced some stuff for them to sing and play.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Please take any further discussion of the composers' seminars to the dedicated thread. This is off-topic.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

But weren't such comments judged to be off topic on the composer's seminar thread?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Nick Baty wrote:But weren't such comments judged to be off topic on the composer's seminar thread?

No - I don't think so (but there are 14 pages of it, so I could be wrong :lol: ). The one we want to keep comment-free is the Events for Parish Musicians thread, which is by way of being a noticeboard.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Some of these threads are getting overlong because posters are quoting the whole of the preceding post – or because I pot after the third scotch! :wink:
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Nick Baty wrote: I pot after the third scotch! :wink:

Me too! (and I didn't quote the whole post)

Q
Hare

Post by Hare »

Alan wrote:Oh dear. I thought this was going to be a day for composers, not some general kind of thing. The published agenda looks fine to me. Please don't water it down just so as to attract large numbers of people. Time enough for the formation of parish musicians when we have produced some stuff for them to sing and play.

Off topic but I don't care as this is my last post on the forum.

I find this (and a private message I have received) rather insulting to those of us (well, me anyway) who are desperate to get at least one new setting up and running for September. Talk about "run along and play and don't bother us composers" !
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Alan wrote:Time enough for the formation of parish musicians when we have produced some stuff for them to sing and play.

I'm afraid I agree with Hare, Alan. It is this sort of attitude (not yours personally, I hope you understand) that keeps me away from such events. Composers need as much formation as (probably more than) the average parish musician. And when they have "produced some stuff for them to sing and play", "they" will need "them" to purchase, sing and play it or "they's" efforts will have been in vain. Also, the organisers have made it clear that this event is open to all involved with preparing liturgy.

Hare, it is outrageous that you have been bullied by PM.
Do not leave. Simply report the perpetrator to the mods.
IMMEDIATELY!
Last edited by Nick Baty on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Nick Baty wrote:Hare, it is outrageous that you have been bullied by PM.

Agreed.
Paul Hodgetts
Hare

Post by Hare »

Nick Baty wrote:
Alan wrote:Time enough for the formation of parish musicians when we have produced some stuff for them to sing and play.

I'm afraid I agree with Hare, Alan. It is this sort of attitude (not yours personally, I hope you understand) that keeps me away from such events. Composers need as much formation as (probably more than) the average parish musician. And when they have "produced some stuff for them to sing and play", "they" will need "them" to purchase, sing and play it or "they's" efforts will have been in vain. Also, the organisers have made it clear that this event is open to all involved with preparing liturgy.

Hare, it is outrageous that you have been bullied by PM.
IMMEDIATELY!

PLEASE BE ASSURED, ALL, THAT I HAVE NOT BEEN BULLIED BY PM; It was well-meant and intended to be helpful, for which I am grateful, but the mood I am in at the moment prevents me from seeing it that way!
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Hm!
It might be well-meant, but if it makes you feel like taking your baton home, then it is not very helpful!
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

I wrote:Oh dear. I thought this was going to be a day for composers, not some general kind of thing. The published agenda looks fine to me. Please don't water it down just so as to attract large numbers of people. Time enough for the formation of parish musicians when we have produced some stuff for them to sing and play.

Oh dear again! I do apologise to one and all - that was very high-handed of me. Sorry.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

And that's very kind of you to say so. :D