Newman Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Newman Mass

Post by Mithras »

Dafy question probably but when will the score for the Mass of Newman by MacMillan be available? I'd like to start work on it soon after Christmas.

Mithras
keitha

Re: Newman Mass

Post by keitha »

Boosey & Hawkes are planning to publish it in Spring 2011 so that it can 'catch the market' for the new translation due, I think (at least in theory), in Advent 2011. My understanding is that it cannot be used prior to the coming of the new translation except with special ad experimentum permission (as was obtained for Glasgow and Birmingham). There is also still a bit of a question mark over the final approved version of the new translation (see other threads) - so far, I think the only new translation approved for use is that for the US Bishops' Conference. We are still waiting, so the text used by James MacMillan could still change. Copies of MacMillan's mass that were produced for the Papal masses should, by now, have been destroyed!
Keith Ainsworth
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Is the MacMillan likely to be the best (I mean most suitable/approachable) setting to start with? When are we likely to see alternatives? Would it be best to start with the "Missal Tones"? If everyone gave these a go, we might at least start off with some common ground....
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Given the very slim pickings on offer at the "new settings showcase" at Summer School the currently known alternatives are, IMHO, not that inspiring.

I would be in favour of learning missal tones, but there is apparently some dissatisfaction with them and they may change. We still need to hang fire until we actually get the text of the Missal (and its tones). The idea of Advent 2011 implementation, is, I suspect, becoming unrealistic.

The missal tones are a very useful 'baseline' which can be used with no accompaniment, so even when the parish musicians are on holiday the Mass can be sung. Bp Roche advocated the Missal Tones as a 'common ground' and there is much to be said for it. However, when different groups gather (Easter Vigil, diocesan event, papal Mass, ...), would one want a more 'festive' setting than the missal tone?
That's a topic for another thread!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Missal tones.........
Where might they be found, and are they adaptable for the average parish music set-up of a 5 stringed guitar and a 9 year old on trombone, with Mr Arthritis doing his best on the Casio.

Edit
Found them. That Gloria ...... so very joyful. Lovely to see text and music in such accord.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Doc, I would have been happy to offer my setting for scrutiny and advice at the Summer School but don't recall being asked. May be there are other SSG composers who fell through the net?
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

docmattc wrote: would one want a more 'festive' setting than the missal tone?
That's a topic for another thread!

Obviously something festal would be needed - as I said, it's a question of where do we start? Possibly some firm common ground? Better an Easter Vigil with confident Missal Tones than a wavering MacMillan....
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

keitha wrote:Boosey & Hawkes are planning to publish it in Spring 2011 so that it can 'catch the market' for the new translation due, I think (at least in theory), in Advent 2011.

Presumably the date of when settings of the new translation may be published will be apply to all publishers not just Boosey and Hawkes.
Another blog
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

Gabriel wrote:
keitha wrote:Boosey & Hawkes are planning to publish it in Spring 2011 so that it can 'catch the market' for the new translation due, I think (at least in theory), in Advent 2011.

Presumably the date of when settings of the new translation may be published will be apply to all publishers not just Boosey and Hawkes.

That would surely depend upon whether that date has been set by B&H or the Bishops? I'm not sure that the Bishops' Conference has much influence with music publishers!

Mithras
musicus

Post by musicus »

Mithras wrote:I'm not sure that the Bishops' Conference has much influence with music publishers!

It does if it controls or administers the copyright text.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

Fair enough - so if, as I plan to do, I set the new text to music and teach it to my choir and congregation (but not use it in Mass until Advent 2011) do I need any special permission from anywhere? (I know that Paul Inwood is working on a Mass part of which was used at Whitby but I understand that special permission was given for this.)

Mithras
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

musicus wrote:
Mithras wrote:I'm not sure that the Bishops' Conference has much influence with music publishers!

It does if it controls or administers the copyright text.

...as I understand it will. Meanwhile, we wait for the full Missal text for England & Wales to actually arrive from Rome. Until then, neither the hierarchical powers-that-be nor the publishers can advance one iota, and Advent 2011 for its introduction looks increasingly in doubt, despite the encouragement of Pope Benedict to the bishops at Oscott. I wonder if Bishop Roche said to him "thanks, your Holiness, but where's the text?"
musicus

Post by musicus »

Mithras wrote:Fair enough - so if, as I plan to do, I set the new text to music and teach it to my choir and congregation (but not use it in Mass until Advent 2011) do I need any special permission from anywhere?

In practice, I wouldn't have thought so. I'm sure many of us are doing the same. Mind you, as John says, the text is not yet fixed; I am going to have to recompose the Doxology in one of my settings - but I think I'll wait for the definitive text before I do so.
blog
musicus

Post by musicus »

Mithras wrote:Dafy question probably but when will the score for the Mass of Newman by MacMillan be available? I'd like to start work on it soon after Christmas.Mithras

It might be worth keeping an eye on this page: http://www.boosey.com/cr/music/James-Ma ... wman/56989
blog
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

4 months on, it's still "In Preparation". Anybody know whether it's going to be available? Say what you like about it (and it did grow on me, quite a lot), it'd be jolly useful to have something available that the choir, at least, already knew.

Has it passed vetting? :lol:
Paul Hodgetts