Teach yourself MacMillan

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Teach yourself MacMillan

Post by HallamPhil »

I note that the Diocese of Glasgow are offering via utube recordings of movements of Brother James' new Mass for the purpose of preparation in advance.

http://beingcatholic.org.uk/papal-visit-music.html

Enjoy
Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Re: Teach yourself MacMillan

Post by Mithras »

I have dutifully listened and have followed the melody lines in the Magnificat book and am not convinced tat this will be aas congregation-friendly as MacMillon might have hoped. There are some fairly awkward leaps and accidentals which might sit uneasily with the congregation's expectations. I speak from experience as at the church I serve I introcuced a MacMillan Mass (Galloway) which never really caught on - though I have no doubt that it is good music.

By the way, why, on pages 198 and 279/80 in the Magnificat book does Credo III change key from C to D? Is this norma. This will be particularly off-putting for the assembly since at both ket change points (on et unamm sanctam...) the instruction is ALL.

Cheers

Mithras
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Mithras wrote:I have dutifully listened and have followed the melody lines in the Magnificat book and am not convinced that this will be as congregation-friendly as MacMillon might have hoped. There are some fairly awkward leaps and accidentals which might sit uneasily with the congregation's expectations. I speak from experience as at the church I serve I introcuced a MacMillan Mass (Galloway) which never really caught on - though I have no doubt that it is good music.
Cheers

I had a similar experience with the Galloway Mass some years ago. However, I think that James MacMillan's setting for the Pope's visit is less austere - and may catch on - particularly if this is taught to congregations well (or at all). Could this also be taught to children and young people? (on a previous thread I heard that some schools are learing this).

Perhaps getting off-topic here, but none of us who help out with the Liturgy - translators, composers, people who sift thru' publications and suggest settings, etc. - really know if 'our' translation or songs will ever catch on. Man (women also!) proposes, God disposes. Bishops, priests, translators, liturgists, propose, the congregation dispose(s).
musicus

Post by musicus »

Mithras wrote:By the way, why, on pages 198 and 279/80 in the Magnificat book does Credo III change key from C to D? Is this norma. This will be particularly off-putting for the assembly since at both ket change points (on et unamm sanctam...) the instruction is ALL.

Cheers

Mithras

It's a misprint. We certainly won't be changing key at the Birmingham Mass.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Had a listen. The organ part seems a bit of a handful for the typical reluctant accompanist at St Bogwash by the gasworks.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Yes, I thought someone had left their mobile phone on during the recording of the middle section of the Glory!
musicus

Post by musicus »

It sounded to me like it had been recorded ON a mobile phone.
blog
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

musicus wrote: We certainly won't be changing key at the Birmingham Mass.

Ooooooooo - so now we know who the director of music is!!! Good luck Musicus :D
musicus

Post by musicus »

LOL! I'm not the Director of Music, but I know a man who is.
blog
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

such a tease!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

musicus wrote:LOL! I'm not the Director of Music, but I know a man who is.

Hopefully God is in charge..... 8) ..... but mediated by human frailty. :roll:

We'll all be rooting for God, and for God's human agents. Good luck, everyone!

I'm going to reserve my comments on the most interesting recording of the MacMillan by the Motherwell Diocesan Choir until we see how this music works in practice (not that the Beeb's mic-ing will tell us very much, 'cos presumably they'll be focusing on choirs who actually know the stuff). Watch this space.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

There's an excellent video interview with James MacMillan on the Guardian web site, including a guest appearance from Paul Wellicome and the singers of Shirley.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... usic-faith
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote: the singers of Shirley.

Who's Shirley?

Nice to see I'm not the only one who puts together a RP melody line on a Saturday evening for Sunday morning and improvises an accompaniment. :wink:
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

presbyter wrote:Nice to see I'm not the only one who puts together a RP melody line on a Saturday evening for Sunday morning and improvises an accompaniment. :wink:

As do many of us, I suspect. I wonder if MacMillan realises that his psalm tone had already been written by someone else? :lol:

More to the point, by demonstrating that his responsorial psalm settings can be congregation-friendly, he cleverly diverted attention from the real question, which is whether his new Mass setting is also congregation-friendly — perhaps because, as we already know, it isn't.