Contacting OCP

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Contacting OCP

Post by Mithras »

I have noticed a discprepancy between the printed version of a piece published by OCP and the recorded version on the CD. The recorded version makes more musical sense so I suspect the score contains a misprint. But I cannot find any way of contacting OCP to alert them to this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mithras
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Contacting OCP

Post by docmattc »

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I suggest you e-mail Barbara Bridge: barbarab@ocp.org She will forward it to the appropriate person.
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

Thanks - will get to it and advise on OCP's response!

M
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

OCP has not got back to me so I wonder if I might get some help from this forum.

At the SSG summer school Martin Foster introduced a piece by Oosterhuis and Oomen, For Peace. I was taken with this piece (I have always been fond of the Dutch school of contemporary catholic composers) and when I got home ordered a copy of the score, and when it came I was pleased to see that it featured on a CD called Wake Your Power which I also ordered and later received. (Congrats to Decani by the way who seem to get me stuff within 2 or 3 days!)

This then is the textual enquiry:

On page 3 (2 of the score) system 2 bar 2 the chord shared betwen left and right hands of the pano part is G minor 7, whereas on the CD is is G7; the latter seems to me to make more musical sense.

Which do you think it should be?

Thanks in advance

Mithras

PS it doesn't work on the organ - I tried it.

PPS there is a host of other good stuff on the CD.
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

Hi Mithras
You've just taken me on a wonderful trip down memory lane! I've not listened to my copy of Wake Your Power CD for ages. The dust had gathered on it. And listening reminds me why the Dutch music has to be top of my list as my Desert Island choice. The OCP recordings are a little bit too 'polished' for my liking though. Try to listen to some of the Dutch recordings if you ever get the chance. Far more 'earthy', I feel.

I have a different score to yours - do you mean the chord on the word 'love' in the first verse? If so, I've checked my copy of Tony Barr's original (1981) score, and it's definitely Gmin7 there, same as my OCP copy.
I see what you mean about the CD, but I've only ever known it with the Gmin7 chord.

Hoping that helps.
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

Yep, B, that is the chord. I played through it tonight (with a singer) I still think the G7 sounds better....

Does anyone here use it?

M
Southern Comfort

Definitely Gm7.

G7 is for barbarians (sorry, Mithras). It's all about harmonic tension, you see. I've never heard the recordings, but I have played this piece several times with Oomen conducting, so I think I can speak with some authority.

The G7 arises from a pianist misreading the D natural in parentheses as a B natural.
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

Oh, but Southern, I'n not a barbarian. I shave on a fairly regular basis! :lol:

M
Southern Comfort

Mithras wrote:Oh, but Southern, I'n not a barbarian. I shave on a fairly regular basis! :lol:

M

My apologies. I was misled by the Dalek. At least that means you don't have to shave your legs. :?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

How does a Dalek play the pedals?...Or the manuals for that matter?
Hang about, how do you climb the stairs to the organ loft?
musicus

Post by musicus »

docmattc wrote:How does a Dalek play the pedals?

Badly. :lol:

(That's enough! Ed.)
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

I have no reason to doubt Southern Comfort who played it under the composer's direction but surely it was pretty sloppy of the production team to let it through?

Mithras

ps docmatic you obviously have't been watching Dr Who lately. We can now levitate! :lol:
Mithras

Post by Mithras »

OCP is now on Facebook.