US recognitio for new Missal received

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: US recognitio for new Missal received

Post by NorthernTenor »

... you're happy to make an exception ;-)
Ian Williams
Alium Music
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

And BTW - I don't remember suggesting that "the poor German diocesan bishops were railroaded into [their action] against their better judgement by their national ecclesiastical bureaucracies". I do recall wryly suggesting they show the same forbearance that we did for so long with the literary failings of a liturgical translation, because that was what authority had given us, like it or not.

ps I like the bit about cassock and cloth cap. You really ought to go on the stage, Paul. Such wit.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

The print version of the German burial rites story gives a rather fuller account (although I wouldn't trust the Tablet to report anything liturgical with accuracy), and suggests that this has actually been done with the agreement of Rome, albeit informally. It also suggests that the older texts (presumably also granted recognitio in their time) are to be used only for another two years while they are taking "steps to have it reworked".

And now back on topic please.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Seems like the Aussies are doing it more gradually
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=7371
That would certainly help with getting music settings off the ground.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

People will think I've got a bee in my bonnet, but at the risk of boring everyone here, I thought I would share this.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=7437

"In his archdiocesan newspaper column, Chicago’s Cardinal Francis George discusses the preparations that should be made before the introduction of a new English translation of the Roman Missal. He argues that “information about the new translation will have to be given in a systematic way, because much of the information found so far in various articles and new stories has been incomplete and sometimes erroneous.”

In an interesting reflection on the new liturgical texts, the cardinal says: “The translations have been made with singing them in mind, so there should be more music in the eucharistic celebration.”

The second paragraph had me putting my chin in my hand and staring meaningfully into the middle distance while nodding sagely.