Niceblogs

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Niceblogs

Post by johnquinn39 »

I am always on the lookout for good tunes and different types of music to bring along and suggest for
use at my parish.(Possiby chant-style)

Unfortunately, there are so many blogs out there that are almost hysterical in their dislike of Farrell / Haugen / anthing modern.

Does anyone know of any niceblogs out there?
Tsume Tsuyu

Re: Niceblogs

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Both Gabriel and mcb have hyperlinks to their own blogs on their member profiles, or at the bottom of any of their posts. They provide a music list for each Sunday (after the event, unfortunately) and those you mention often feature. I guess that makes them 'nice' blogs. :-)
TT
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Baty's blog seems alive and well

http://music-for-the-community.blogspot.com/
festivaltrumpet

Post by festivaltrumpet »

The Praytell blog, previously mentioned in this forum, seems to me to be a site which is remarkably balanced, well informed, and receptive to most shades of liturgical opinion.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

festivaltrumpet wrote:The Praytell blog, previously mentioned in this forum, seems to me to be a site which is remarkably balanced, well informed, and receptive to most shades of liturgical opinion.

Up to a point, FT. Before it reaches it (or allows some of its contributors to do so), it's happy to recommend Chant Cafe.

(I apologise in advance for the unpleasant nature of some of the comments under that post, which hardly qualify as 'nice' - however, the majority don't fall into that category).
Last edited by NorthernTenor on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

festivaltrumpet wrote:The Praytell blog, previously mentioned in this forum, seems to me to be a site which is remarkably balanced, well informed, and receptive to most shades of liturgical opinion.

Unfortunately, even the nice Fr. Ruff allows some distinctly unpleasant stuff to appear at Pray, Tell. I've just read a comment from one of the Society of Saint Gregory's own notable alumni that employs an anecdotal Aunt Sally to characterise those with whom he disagrees as stupid. Pretty desperate stuff.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

"At the risk of getting into trouble, I want to say that people need to think with their brains, not just with the emotion of their hearts. We need a balance between the cerebral and the sentimental.

A lot of our discussions, it seems to me, are happening because those with hearts are not thinking, and those with brains are not feeling. Somewhere in the middle of all this is a common pathway.

Regarding those who hanker after a past that they never knew: I can agree that perhaps they do not realize that they are doing this. On the other hand, it can be down to sheer ignorance.

I remember very well presenting a liturgy evening for university students, some of whom came up to me afterwards and said “Well, of course, we have a full Latin mass with plainchant whenever we can.” I said to them “Why Latin and chant?” and they told me “Oh, we have to. That’s what Jesus did at the Last Supper.”

And I thought to myself “Where are these people getting all this stuff?” There’s obviously a lot of misinformation out there on the ways the church has worshipped and the way liturgy has developed over the centuries. And I fear that some of our young people are being inveigled into positions that they might not otherwise adopt if only they have been fed the truth.

I have to say that the posturing of some of the more right-wing bloggers are doing nothing to redress the lack of balance in basic education, perhaps because they themselves are not educated either." - Paul Inwood.

Has Paul said anything that is not true, or anything remotely obectionable?

John
NorthernTenor

Post by NorthernTenor »

Yes, John. Rather than discuss the issues and their finer points he’s characterised those he disagrees with as stupid and “right wing”. That not only lacks intellectual penetration – it’s also (remembering your thread title) not vey nice.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
festivaltrumpet

NorthernTenor wrote:Yes, John. Rather than discuss the issues and their finer points he’s characterised those he disagrees with as stupid and “right wing”. That not only lacks intellectual penetration – it’s also (remembering your thread title) not vey nice.

Why would one assume that being described as "right wing" is not vey [sic] nice?
festivaltrumpet

NorthernTenor wrote: from one of the Society of Saint Gregory's own notable alumni

How does one become an alumnus of the Society of Saint Gregory?
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

NorthernTenor wrote:Yes, John. Rather than discuss the issues and their finer points he’s characterised those he disagrees with as stupid and “right wing”. That not only lacks intellectual penetration – it’s also (remembering your thread title) not vey nice.

The word stupid was not used NT.

As far as I am aware, Paul was merely stating the truth about 'some of the more right-wing bloggers'. (In my view, there is nothing wrong with being right-wing).

Going back to your recommendation of the chant cafe - I am unsure about how balanced this is. (For example, it includes this sort of thing: http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstt ... -all-time/)

In my view, it displays very deep ignorance to dismiss these great, popular, biblical hymns. Although perhaps this is getting off topic.
musicus

Post by musicus »

festivaltrumpet wrote:
NorthernTenor wrote: from one of the Society of Saint Gregory's own notable alumni

How does one become an alumnus of the Society of Saint Gregory?

One can't, of course. One can only become a member. Some of the folk on this forum are members, many are not, but all are welcome here, because this is a nice blog. (OK - forum, but back on topic.)
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog