Rimsky-Korsakov Our Father

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

St Wilfrid
Parish / Diocese: St Marys Hexham

Rimsky-Korsakov Our Father

Post by St Wilfrid »

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of the English setting of this, freebie or otherwise? - CPDL offers Latin and Dutch.

Many thanks.

(Incidentally, an attempt to search this forum with Rimsky-Korsakov fails with the advice that the aforementioned is "too common" a search term....)
Southern Comfort

Re: Rimsky-Korsakov Our Father

Post by Southern Comfort »

I can't post the best version here as this board does not seem to allow PDF files as attachments. Mods, any chance of doing something about that?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

I sang this in John Ainslie's parish last weekend where it worked very well.

Southern Comfort wrote: Mods, any chance of doing something about that?

Not as far as I can see, no.
keitha

Post by keitha »

I think that allowing pdf's could open the SSG up to the risk of unwitting breaches of copyright. Can anyone provide publisher details instead?
Keith Ainsworth
Southern Comfort

In practice, of course, there's no difference between providing a link to a PDF on someone else's site (which happens here regularly) and providing a link to a PDF supplied by a bulletin board participant. If copyright is really the issue, the SSG could still be in the hot seat for disseminating a breach of copyright by providing a URL link.
keitha

Post by keitha »

SC may be right - but I don't think so. I would accept that it's a very fine distinction, but there is a difference between publishing a pdf of copyright material on a website (which is definitely a breach of copyright) and providing a link to another website which may or may not be publishing a pdf of a document in breach of copyright. I would say that the latter is not a breach by the provider of the link.
Keith Ainsworth
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SC et al:

I have added the ability to attach documents to this forum now. This is no different from teh composers group forum, which has had that ability for a long time. I suggest that, if posters are found to be breaching copyright, then this should be handled by the moderators in much the same way as the moderators have been handling everything else. Please do not give them too much to do!
The Management
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

SC may know the answer to this question - or at least confirm my speculation.

Leaving aside whether anyone has seen an original Rimsky-Korsakov version of the piece - I doubt he wrote it in Latin, English or Dutch. Am I right in my assumption that the arrangement was originally French? by Gelineau? The first in English I am aware of was done by Fr Dan Higgins for Westminster Cathedral, a student in Paris; there is also an arrangement by Robert Kelly (another Paris student) which can be found in various Kevin Mayhew books.

Any copyright is presumably editorial or perhaps graphic - given that the composer has been dead for over 70 years and the words... Colin Buchanan, an evangelical, liturgical Anglican bishop once put a copyright notice on the Our Father noting that its author was still living. :)

A pdf version is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another blog
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Laudate 587
Southern Comfort

Gabriel wrote:SC may know the answer to this question - or at least confirm my speculation.

Leaving aside whether anyone has seen an original Rimsky-Korsakov version of the piece - I doubt he wrote it in Latin, English or Dutch. Am I right in my assumption that the arrangement was originally French? by Gelineau? The first in English I am aware of was done by Fr Dan Higgins for Westminster Cathedral, a student in Paris; there is also an arrangement by Robert Kelly (another Paris student) which can be found in various Kevin Mayhew books.

The RK original is set to the Russian text. Joseph Gelineau's adaptation to the French text was used at the Jesuit Church of St-Ignace in Paris. It has fewer syllables than the Russian original. Fr Dan Higgins came across it there while he was on sabbatical in Châtenay-Malabry (an outer Parisian suburb), brought it back to England, and made an English version (which in turn has fewer syllables than the French). It was first used at English Vespers in Westminster Cathedral in the 1980s. I am typing this on the road, away from my references books and cannot give the precise date of first usage.

Robert Kelly's version was not made from Gelineau's original but from a transcription made from memory of what was being sung at Westminster — Robert was living in North London at the time. His memory was faulty in a number of places, as can be seen from the differences between his version and Higgins's. Similarly, the version in Laudate diverges from Gelineau/Higgins's original in a number of details — possibly another inaccurate transcription of the Westminster version?

Attached is the original Gelineau/Higgins version.
Rimsky-Korsakov Our Father ed. Gelineau-Higgins.pdf

PS: Thanks, Admin, for making this possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Southern Comfort wrote:The RK original is set to the Russian text.

Not strictly - it's in Church Slavonic. Russians don't usually pray it in Russian!
Southern Comfort

mcb wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:The RK original is set to the Russian text.

Not strictly - it's in Church Slavonic. Russians don't usually pray it in Russian!

Thanks, mcb — imprecise language on my part. I intended to convey "the text used in Russia", not the actual language.
St Wilfrid
Parish / Diocese: St Marys Hexham

Post by St Wilfrid »

Thanks - esp. to Gabriel and SC for the pdf's. (so no copyright restrictions with these?)

For the curious - R-K's original can be seen by clicking on the image here : http://www.musicarussica.com/titledet.lasso?-database=musrus_titles&-response=titledet.lasso&-layout=item_detail&-op=eq&mus_rus_ID=%22Ri%20007&-search
musicus

Post by musicus »

Southern Comfort wrote:Attached is the original Gelineau/Higgins version.

Thanks for this.
Presumably, it's in F, and the key signature is missing?
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Southern Comfort

musicus wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Attached is the original Gelineau/Higgins version.

Thanks for this.
Presumably, it's in F, and the key signature is missing?

Yes, it is. Well spotted, musicus! Just shows what can happen when you take someone else's file without checking it. :(