Advice needed...

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Re: Advice needed...

Post by musicus »

Hare wrote:
dmu3tem wrote: everything else - including what is or is not the 'correct' liturgy for the day - pales into insignificance.

What? :shock:

That was my reaction too. Sorry, Thomas, but it isn't Pharisaical to espouse liturgical good practice. Given the flexibility allowed in Masses with children, it is not necessary to abandon the basic principles. When you cited 'Colours of Day' I thought you were having a laugh...
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

But Musicus, I thought Dmu3etc meant that Liturgy serves the Word. That is the meaning I took from his post.

Because it is not Liturgy for the sake of having Liturgy.
uh oh!
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Well said, Oops.

musicus wrote:it isn't Pharisaical to espouse liturgical good practice.

No, but it could be, if obeying the rules took precedence over nourishing and evangelising. (Or over the glory of God and the sanctification of the faithful, for that matter.)
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Let's remember the original post said:
apparently his suggestion was to use the readings for the day which are not particularly suitable for this occasion

and read dmu3tem's reply
dmu3tem wrote:Against this everything else - including what is or is not the 'correct' liturgy for the day - pales into insignificance.
in the light of it.

I don't think for one minute anyone here is suggesting incorrect, or dumbed-down liturgy, merely a different set of readings to that which is in the ordo, as the DCM allows:
If all the readings assigned to the day seem to be unsuited to the capacity of the children, it is permissible to choose readings or a reading either from the Lectionary for Mass or directly from the Bible, but taking into account the liturgical seasons.

dmu3tem wrote:I know this sounds a bit anti-liturgical, but the bottom line, surely, should be that the children get something out of the service.
I don't think that is anti-liturgical at all. I think its the very essence of Sacrosanctum Concilium. Of course it doesn't mean one has to play fast and loose with basic good practice to achieve this.

I do think that 'Colours of Day' should never be allowed to see the light of day, no matter how well known it is.
lesley wright

Post by lesley wright »

Surely the whole point is that people should be 'fed' by what they are offered at the Mass, both in terms of the Liturgy and the music; if the children can't understand the readings they aren't going to bother to try to digest them.
I wonder whether the people who make pronouncements such as 'children don't like organ music' (I can't remember what the actual quote was) actually ask many children for their opinion; the experience in our parish is that the children enjoy a very wide variety of styles of music and rather resent being patronised.
L
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Well, has anybody actually said that? And on what authority? Or is this just a bit of a red herring?

Anyway, even if they have, I doubt our Archbishop (ex New College Choir and RNCM) will have much time for such rubbish.

Children respond mainly to their teachers' passion and enthusiasm. My Y5/6/7 juniors seemed to enjoy the Byrd Ave Verum yesterday morning, and I know they like the Telemann Hosianna dem Sonne David, cos they come into choir practice singing it - German words and all.
Paul Hodgetts
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

SAUnison said
I think the very term 'Children's Mass' suggests something different to an 'Adult Mass'. I'm planning a 'Mass with Children' . . . We will be adapting the liturgy to suit the needs of the children present (about 1,000), but will be singing all the acclamations as well as the Psalm.

Sounds good to me. I hope that all goes well when you meet with the Precentor.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

johnquinn39 wrote:Why are we instructed (in the Birmingham Diocese) that young poeple do not like the pipe organ
and choral music?

Could it be that this opinion emanates from a three-letter source in the said archdiocese?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Southern Comfort wrote:Could it be that this opinion emanates from a three-letter source in the said archdiocese?

I very much doubt that, But let's not introduce yet another red herring but rather focus on replying to SAUnison.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog