Papal Visit

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Re: Papal Visit

Post by Southern Comfort »

Southern Comfort wrote:The Pope's secretary has given him a rather larger gift box than the usual papal medal. Wonder what it was?

Have just learned that it was a box full of medals — for the orchestra! (not sure if they were being paid or not) Nothing for the choir of people from around the dioceses. I am told that they have been treated like 2nd-class citizens over the past two days. Hmmm.... I know that many of them could have sung with their eyes shut the pieces that were reserved to the "professional" choir. Hope they get some token of appreciation for all their time (they've been there since Thursday afternoon) and effort.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:
Hare wrote:However, the Westminster musicians are far more qualified than I, so I would be inclined to respect what they do.......

In many areas, yes, they are qualified, but not in this one, alas. None of those on the Cathedral's present musical establishment have any knowledge of the prior tradition of the chant. They have reinvented it from new. unidiomatic accompaniments from the English Hymnal, etc.

Hmm - do I smell sour grapes?
Hare

Post by Hare »

docmattc wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:But wait — another fanfare from James MacMillan as the Gospel Book is carried back to the Pope.

I wondered about the liturgical function of that fanfare. While it covered the return of the deacon et al to the sanctuary, it seemed to act to distance the Gospel from the homily, and, being 'bigger' than the Gospel Acclamation, served to elevate the homily above the Gospel (at least in my mind).

[quote="Southern Comfort"]

The Gospel has, of necessity, to be processed a long way at Westminster. I thought the MacMillan fanfare was excellent accompaniment given the occasion. (cf another thread about "Emotional Manipulation" - it certainly did that to me. I was a quivering wreck! :oops: )
Southern Comfort

Hare wrote:
docmattc wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:But wait — another fanfare from James MacMillan as the Gospel Book is carried back to the Pope.

I wondered about the liturgical function of that fanfare. While it covered the return of the deacon et al to the sanctuary, it seemed to act to distance the Gospel from the homily, and, being 'bigger' than the Gospel Acclamation, served to elevate the homily above the Gospel (at least in my mind).

Southern Comfort wrote:
The Gospel has, of necessity, to be processed a long way at Westminster. I thought the MacMillan fanfare was excellent accompaniment given the occasion. (cf another thread about "Emotional Manipulation" - it certainly did that to me. I was a quivering wreck! :oops: )

I think it was Docmattc who queried the liturgical function of the fanfare, not me.
Southern Comfort

8.25, and the papal helicopter has still not left Wimbledon (take-off was scheduled for 8.00am) according to the live webcast, so he may be late at Cofton Park? He's just driving onto Wimbledon Common now..... Red carpet on the grass.

In the meantime we have had the familiar Brummie vowels of Mike Stanley ("This is the day") and Jo Boyce. All systems Go on Radio 4 at Cofton Park. A reference to umbrellas. Is it raining up there?

Prayers, readings from Newman, a penitential rite ("Lord, have mercy")

Then an ostinato "Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my path" complete with consecutive 5ths in the vocal harmonies. Why the archaic text, I wonder?

Now we're in the midst of "Bread of life, cup eternal" — not sure why, since it's not Communion. Some new unharmonious vocal harmonies in the verse. And the familiar text, oscillating uncomfortably between "us" and "me" in the refrain.

Back on Wimbledon Common, the security men are making sure the Pope is tucked comfortably into the helicopter. There'll be three others flying up ahead of the Pope's helicopter, carrying the papal retinue and security detail. Four helicopters should makle quite a row when they arrive in Birmingham. It's 8.35.
Southern Comfort

Rotors turning, the red carpet has been removed, but no lift-off yet.

Jo Boyce's Magnificat being sung at Cofton Park.

Now the Bidding Prayers have started.

OK, he's lifting off now.

Now heading off for B'ham, narrowly missing a flock of ducks flying over the Common.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Southern Comfort wrote:Rotors turning, the red carpet has been removed, but no lift-off yet.

Jo Boyce's Magnificat being sung at Cofton Park.

Now the Bidding Prayers have started.

OK, he's lifting off now.

Now heading off for B'ham, narrowly missing a flock of ducks flying over the Common.

Thanks SC, but I think we all have televisions :lol:
Southern Comfort

The remaining helicopters lift off, turn into the wind, and depart.

In meantime, we're into a rather fast guitar-accompanied version of "Lead, kindly light" (the Purday tune). We were told that Newman himself was rather unhappy that his poem had been turned into a hymn.... And what's this? A new CJM refrain to go on the end of each verse. "Lead, kindly light x 3, lead thou me on" x 2.
Southern Comfort

docmattc wrote:Thanks SC, but I think we all have televisions :lol:

The live webcast and TV don't necessarily show the same pictures. (Currently the webcast is in a helicopter circling Cofton Park, while BBC News 24 is interviewing people on the ground.) And TV doesn't carry Radio 4.

I'm really commenting on the music. Now we have a new, presumably CJM, setting of "Firmly I believe and truly", the opening phrases of which are all on one note.

And so Radio 4 Morning Worship comes to an end.
Southern Comfort

Judging from the aerial photos, there are currently rather less than half as many people in Cofton Park as there were in Hyde Park last night. 80,000+ then, so perhaps 30-35,000 today? The weather appears to be wet — what a shame. Lots of umbrellas and raincoats. Hope the musicians' equipment is well-protected from damp.
Southern Comfort

Strains of the Widor Toccata to be heard behind the interview with Christopher Jamison. Excellent!
Southern Comfort

Audible on the live feed but not BBC2, Bach G major Fantasia BWV 572... (Different pictures, too) Just stopped short of the last two pages, alas.
Hare

Post by Hare »

I think it was Docmattc who queried the liturgical function of the fanfare, not me.

It was - sorry, I somehow forgot to take out Southern Comfort's name and I can't seem to get back in to edit it.
Hare

Post by Hare »

docmattc wrote:Thanks SC, but I think we all have televisions :lol:

Perhaps he thinks he's on Twitter! :lol:
Southern Comfort

Well done, everyone! Everything worked very well. Now listening to the strains of the Elgar Ave Verum as the Pope is driven to the B'ham Oratory..... (And no, I've never been on Twitter!)