updated website.

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

admin
Site Admin

updated website.

Post by admin »

Just in case you are one of those folks who link directly to the forum and never look at the Society's website, please do have a look. It's changed! I will be interested in your comments: for once, I have had little to do with the content and style (and it shows!) :D
The Management
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Re: updated website.

Post by NorthernTenor »

Looks good, Admin.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Super new style, good links. Are we going to have 'Preparing the Liturgy' back? I know it was missing for a while but was back when I looked last week.
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

VML wrote:Super new style, good links. Are we going to have 'Preparing the Liturgy' back? I know it was missing for a while but was back when I looked last week.

I'm confused - (but not for the first (or last) time) - I do see a link for "preparing the liturgy" - and it works, but three others I tried don't - "composers" and "contact us" and memory fails me for the third. Is it me, or my browser (Firefox)?

Q
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

For members of the society, the 'Preparing the Liturgy' pages are of course available well in advance on paper! Those lamenting their loss might like to click on this link. :wink:

I understand there are technical problems with putting PtL online in the new format which will be resolved in time.
quaeritor

Re: updated website. - further details

Post by quaeritor »

Further to my previous post I can confirm that the only links that work on my system (Firefox 3.5.7) are "Preparing the Liturgy" (although the onward links from that page to the individual Sundays do not work), Discussion Forum, the "Everyclick" donation link and the Search box (although the link to the Advanced Search facility does not work, and onwards links from the search results do not work either). All the other links on the home page get "page not found on this server" (not the exact words).

Am I living in a parallel universe? :?

Q
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

quaeritor wrote:
Am I living in a parallel universe? :?

I think you are. If the page you are looking at does not have images across the top, with hands holding the eucharist in the center, you aren't looking at the new site but a previously cached version of the old one. Hit refresh a few times.
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Well spotted, Doc - I'd seen the "new look" layout by following the link from your earlier post - even tried the link back to Home from that page but all roads led to the original page. Refresh did the job.

Thanks

Q
Peter

Post by Peter »

VML wrote:Super new style, good links. Are we going to have 'Preparing the Liturgy' back? I know it was missing for a while but was back when I looked last week.

"Preparing the Liturgy" is still there, but it's not obvious. You get to it by clicking "Events" and selecting a Sunday; you then see a link to the On-line Planner, which brings up the general Liturgy Planner page for the season and, as Quaeritor has pointed out, the links to the information on particular Sundays don't work at the moment. It's unfortunate timing as far as I'm concerned, because I've just recommended this site to the parishioner organising a series of meetings to help the readers in our church, and it's the pages on individual Sundays that will be of most use to them!

Although I was happy with the old home page, the new one does look more attractive, even if the grey list on the left suggests at first that these links may be "greyed-out", i.e. not working. The direct links on the right into the latest Forum postings are handy. I don't remember seeing the "Events" link on the old site; if it's an innovation on this one then it's a useful addition.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

Peter wrote:even if the grey list on the left suggests at first that these links may be "greyed-out", i.e. not working.

This is an issue that is on the fix list. Apparently though the font colour is buried so far in the code that one needs a Davy lamp to try and find it.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

I like the new layout :)

One little fix? Go to the aims of our Society - first aim - to me, it doesn't quite read right -

to further the study and understanding by the people of the Roman Catholic Church, with a view to promoting active participation in accordance with the teaching of the Church

Should "of the liturgy and its music" be in there after "understanding"??? Maybe that's just understood and I'm having a senior moment.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

presbyter wrote:One little fix? Go to the aims of our Society - first aim - to me, it doesn't quite read right -
to further the study and understanding by the people of the Roman Catholic Church, with a view to promoting active participation in accordance with the teaching of the Church
Should "of the liturgy and its music" be in there after "understanding"??? Maybe that's just understood and I'm having a senior moment.

The senior moment must have lay elsewhere, its fixed now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter wrote:

"Preparing the Liturgy" is still there, but it's not obvious.. links to the information on particular Sundays don't work at the moment...

I've put a new menu item in to launch the PtL page and I have fixed the download link to the PDF for each (week).
The Management
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

docmattc wrote:
Peter wrote:even if the grey list on the left suggests at first that these links may be "greyed-out", i.e. not working.

This is an issue that is on the fix list. Apparently though the font colour is buried so far in the code that one needs a Davy lamp to try and find it.

Armed with my lamp and canary... this is now fixed.
The Management
keitha

Post by keitha »

I like it! :D I use Firefox 3.6 and have had no problems with navigation or the links. Thank you for the changes.
Keith Ainsworth