"Responsorial" Gloria

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

quaeritor

"Responsorial" Gloria

Post by quaeritor »

Thinking it's probably still a good idea to avoid hymn books and music leaflets for the time being I'm going to reintroduce our congregation to singing again by including, among other things, a "Responsorial" Gloria. As we haven't sung such since the days of the (old translation) Lourdes Gloria I'm wondering if any particular setting has emerged as the common standard. (No point in re-inventing the wheel at this stage!)

Please may we not get involved in a discussion about whether "Responsorial" is better or worse than "Straight through", or whether w should avoid hymn books etc by projecting on walls or printing weekly "missalettes" or any other contrivance. I'd be very grateful to know which setting, if any, is currently "top of the pops" :)

It's already Tuesday. (Panic setting in.)

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Q
keitha

Re: "Responsorial" Gloria

Post by keitha »

For what it is worth, we're delaying the introduction of the Gloria for a few weeks while we get the congregation used to singing responses etc again.

I can think of 2 responsorial Glorias - one from the Lourdes Mass (Lècot), but make sure you use the 2011 translation version (there are still a few old ones out there!) and another by David Saint from St Chads Cathedral, Birmingham. Both have gone down reasonably well. I'll pm you with publisher details etc as soon as I can find them!
Keith Ainsworth
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Rather than trying to use a Responsorial Gloria at all, why not use the Psallite Mass "At the Table of the Lord" Gloria?

It's the one that at least seven dioceses in England and Wales (and many more elsewhere) recommended as the setting for parishes to use when we were changing to the new texts in 2011.

It's similar to Chris Walker's Belmont Gloria, in that it is a simple chant with two melodies. But unlike the Walker, which arbitrarily alternates tunes A and B without any real reference to the text, the Psallite Gloria uses two melodies and that do follow the actual structure of the text. So part 1 is sung to tune A, part 2 to tune B, and part 3 returns to tune A again.

It's very, very simple, and easy to pick up. You can do it completely unaccompanied, or with organ, or guitar, and there are choir harmonies too. We've been using it with just cantor and organ since Easter, and the clergy already know it well, as well as (I suspect) most of the up to now non-singing congregation. If you start it off this weekend, within a week or two people will be singing it as if they had been singing it all their life. It's that easy, memorable, and yet not boring.

One other thing: the music needs to go at a reasonable pace (speech rhythm, in fact). Sung like that, it dances!
Johnoftheguitar
Parish / Diocese: Knutsford

Post by Johnoftheguitar »

I can recommend Dan Schutte's Mass of Christ the Savior, which can be sung either with a repeat refrain or straight through.
Published by OCP (and available to listen to on Youtube)
Southern Comfort

Johnoftheguitar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm I can recommend Dan Schutte's Mass of Christ the Savior, which can be sung either with a repeat refrain or straight through.
Be aware, if you use this, that it is known as the "My Little Pony" Mass.

To give just one example: https://www.facebook.com/CatholicTalkSh ... 865953473/
alan29

Post by alan29 »

8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Southern Comfort wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 pm
Johnoftheguitar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm I can recommend Dan Schutte's Mass of Christ the Savior, which can be sung either with a repeat refrain or straight through.
Be aware, if you use this, that it is known as the "My Little Pony" Mass.

To give just one example: https://www.facebook.com/CatholicTalkSh ... 865953473/
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Southern Comfort wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 pm Be aware, if you use this, that it is known as the "My Little Pony" Mass.
Made the mistake of listening. You know that feeling when you can't unhear something? :lol: :lol: :lol:
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

I'm a little late to this discussion but we are reintroducing a sung Gloria for the first time this Sunday and I've picked the Glory to God from Paul Inwood's 'A Plymouth Mass' which is responsorial. It was introduced to the congregation in the early days of the new translation, we used to alternate it with Walker's Belmont, but we've used it only ocassionally since as our new priest was from a different rite and I didn't want to bombard him with too many new things to learn.
Southern Comfort

kerrezza wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:20 pm I'm a little late to this discussion but we are reintroducing a sung Gloria for the first time this Sunday and I've picked the Glory to God from Paul Inwood's 'A Plymouth Mass' which is responsorial. It was introduced to the congregation in the early days of the new translation, we used to alternate it with Walker's Belmont, but we've used it only ocassionally since as our new priest was from a different rite and I didn't want to bombard him with too many new things to learn.
Available here: http://www.magnificatmusic.com/Plymouth ... vision.pdf
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

@southern comfort
I've found the Sanctus for this Mass by following your link but not the Kyrie or Agnus Dei; is there a link please?
Southern Comfort

The original 2005 Plymouth Mass was published in three editions: choir + accompaniment, guitar/vocal, and instrumental parts.

It contained the following movements:
Penitential Rite (Rite III, including presider's sung absolution and Amen for all)
*Gloria
Alleluia with a sample verse
Lenten Gospel Acclamation (singable/playable as a five-part canon)
*Sanctus
*All four memorial acclamations (now of course there are only three)
Great Amen
Agnus

Additionally there was a setting of *EPIII in priest's melody card and accompaniment editions, in the same tonality as the Sanctus, Memorial Acclamations and Great Amen.

Of these, the only revisions that required major re-setting were the asterisked items. They were made available on the Magnificat Music website in order to be accessible to the many parishes that had already purchased the original 2005 edition(s) only a few years previously. I believe those editions are now out of print, but the publisher might be prepared to supply PDFs of the unrevised movements if asked. I believe there is still stock available of the CD recording of the 2005 version, but again, the publisher might supply MP3s of individual tracks.