Paraphrases - yet again!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Paraphrases - yet again!

Post by alan29 »

Thinking forward to the Triduum.
I know that Mass texts are not supposed to be paraphrased, but what about things like hymns and other sung texts during the Triduum where certain translations are included in the Missal?
Thinking of things like Ubi Caritas and the Reproaches. Can we use paraphrases of those? Does it make a difference that they are optional?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Paraphrases - yet again!

Post by Nick Baty »

As I understand it, texts which are mandatory (Behold the Wood of the Cross or Exsultet) should use the prescribed texts. However, those which are optional (Reproaches or Ubi Caritas) don't have to. I'm sure there are those who will explain this more fully.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Yes that would make sense.
But since when did sense come into it?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Nick Baty wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:55 pm As I understand it, texts which are mandatory (Behold the Wood of the Cross or Exsultet) should use the prescribed texts. However, those which are optional (Reproaches or Ubi Caritas) don't have to. I'm sure there are those who will explain this more fully.
This is correct. In addition, it's worth noting that both the Ubi Caritas on Maundy Thursday and Crux Fidelis on Good Friday have translations that suffer from "massaging" of the text — in other words, they are not literalist translations in the same way that most of the remainder of the Missal is. The reason for this is that both of them have been prepared expressly for singing with the Gregorian chant neumes of the Latin original, and this has necessitated taking liberties with the text, liberties that have not been permitted elsewhere under the provisions of that ill-fated document Liturgiam Authenticam. In other words, ICEL and SCDW/Vox Clara bent their own rules in these cases. Knowing this, unless you are going to sing these texts to the neumes, it's certainly not necessary to stick to the translation given.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Furthermore, earlier in Holy Week (not during the Triduum), the same is true of a number of items on Palm Sunday:

The antiphon Hosanna to the Son of David
The antiphons and psalms during the Procession of Palms (in which, NB, the Missal butchers the layout of the Revised Grail Psalter)
The hymn Glory and honour and praise be to you, another example of a text that has been prepared for singing to the neumes of the Latin, in this case Gloria, laus et honor tibi sit

These are all entirely optional and may be replaced by other appropriate texts and music settings
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Excellent info.
Thanks folks.