What to do with potentially publishable music

Interested in writing music for the Liturgy?
Talk about it here!

Moderator: PaulW

Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Can't tell you, I'm afraid – I was never involved with that side of things. It's all to do with the agreements drawn up between the BBC and the inidividual publishers. some of which date back many years. If they decide to use a piece from a new source, the negotiations start from scratch so then anything can be negotiated.
Pete

Publishable music

Post by Pete »

Hi Gwyn

There is also the obvious choice - publish it yourself!

I know of at least two, very successful composers who have never had a publisher - one lives in my village, and wouldn't I just love his income?

If you have Sibelius, or something similar, then it is a simple matter to churn it out. I have acted as a copyist to our local composer and done that very thing on Sibelius. All my minor compositions are self-published - once you have done the initial work, it is just a case of printing it and deciding on a suitable price. Certainly, you can cover your costs.

If you need any help or advice using Sibelius, then I am quite experienced in its use, although I am unable to help with any other programs.

All the best

Pete
Dot

Post by Dot »

Have you ever published that natty little ostinato that your avatar is playing? :)
Coolest avatar yet 8) !
manniemain
Parish / Diocese: St Margaret's Huntly - diocese of aberdeen

Re: What to do with potentially publishable music

Post by manniemain »

If therefore I wanted to write and publish responsorial psalms using the texts in the missal to whom should I apply in order to get permission to use these texts?
Rob
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

At the moment it's HarperCollins, soon to be GIA.
See the thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=843
musicus

Post by musicus »

I wrote:Also, you'll have a better chance if you send your music to publishers that sell your kind of music: don't send 4-part Latin motets to OCP, for example.

Or to OUP, for that matter. :( :( :(
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog