EF Missa Cantata

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

EF Missa Cantata

Post by docmattc »

What is required to be sung at an EF Missa Cantata?
I know the Ordinary must be sung: Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Benedictus and Agnus Dei along with the Asperges if its the main Mass of the day, but the rubrics I've seen state that the Proper is required too, so we must also sing the Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Offertorium and Communio.
alan29

Re: EF Missa Cantata

Post by alan29 »

As far as I know everything is sung as at a Solemn Mass, but the ceremonial is simpler with fewer ministers- no deacon/subdeacon etc. So yes, the proper must be sung along with the priest's part.
One looks forward with bated breath to EF communities tackling the propers from the Liber on a weekly basis.
Asperges on Sunday only.
Alan
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You will find useful information here: Sancta Missa - Music. You will even find videos.
The website is run by the Canons of St John Cantius in Chicago who seem to have a liturgical apostolate - both OF & EF. I have a suspicion that where there is a settled group you may get less polemic and more just getting on with the business of praying.
Gabriel
Another blog
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Where appropriate (because of resources etc), the Propers may be sung to simple psalm tones. I think it's also OK to do some to psalm tones and others to the melody as found in the graduale - just as it's OK to do some to polyphonic settings.

Whatever you do, good luck with it!

PS The Graduale for the EF is available online - go to the New Liturgical Movement, the links are quite a long way down in the sidebar. For those that are the same, you can find Communios with verses at http://www.musicasacra.com - go to chant downloads. In the sidebar of their home page you'll find links to what to sing at various types of EF Mass, as well as free pdfs of propers set to tones, simplified propers etc.

PPS Just had a quick look at some of the tone settings - you can learn the tones faster than you can convene a committee to choose next week's hymns!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

It seems a great pity to resort to psalm tones for a rite where the music and actions are so intimately connected. Critics of liturgical change often point the finger at the perceived simplicity of some of the music to which it has given rise. Are psalm tones (as an alternative to the proper chants) not the equivalent of the three chord hymns which are so often decried? Because a thing is permitted it does not mean that it is desirable. Surely if a thing is worth doing ....................
Alan
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

I wouldn't want psalm tones to be the 'preferred' option. But realistically the music is likely to be challenging, at least to begin with. Assuming that one's working with a choir of volunteer singers with little or no experience of plainchant I would have thought it better to aim to sing the Propers to tones whilst they gain familiarity with the Ordinary of the Mass. The you could try the Communio to its proper tune and start to build up the repertiore. With an inexperienced amateur choir - might it take 2 or 3 years to gain some proficiency and be able to sing the Propers as writ?

I'd be really interested to know other people's experiences of learning chant. I'm too young to remember it being used liturgically - and not blessed to live near enough to anywhere that sings the Propers now. As my communion 'noodling' I use the Communio from the Graduale but it takes me a few evenings to get it into my system enough to be able to do if justice at the organ - and that's without worrying about tripping over the words.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Reginald wrote:...I'd be really interested to know other people's experiences of learning chant....

Some parishioners started a chant group in our parish eight weeks ago now and roped me in to teach them, so here is how its going so far.

From 1966 to 1972 I was a chorister in a choir which sang gregorian propers occasionally, so I have a little familiarity. Since then I have done a little. I love to go to mass at Prinknash, which is unfortunately too far away to go regularly, where the community are very welcoming and always provide a copy of the graduale so I can join in.

I had a fortnight's warning, so I read and listened to as much as I could. There seems to be a wide spread of opinion among theoretical writers and in monastic choirs singing, which is reassuring. You are not putting on a musical straight jacket. If anyone accuses you of doing something wrongly, you may well be able to point to an example of some choir doing things the same way.

I started with the basics, signum crucis (the sign of the cross), Pater noster, Ave Maria, and Gloria Patri (to tone 7G).We moved on to the marian anthems, Salve regina, Alma Mater and Regina Coeli. That all went well, so I tried the communion antiphon for the 25th Sunday of the year, simplified to suit the english words. That is taking far longer to learn. I hope it will be ready in time.

If anyone wants to join us, we are in North Somerset and meet on Thursday evenings. PM me for details. What we really need is a priest who would like to say the EF occasionally, or even daily. Any volunteers?
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Nazard, I can't believe that in North Somerset of all places you would struggle to find a priest who would say Mass in the EF! Downside and Glastonbury spring to mind and I would have thought that you would be well received at Downend too if you fancied a trip to the Metropolis :D

Now, on the other hand, if someone can find me an occasional EF Mass in Norfolk that's at a time suitable for a man with little people to look after....
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Found this by accident 10 minutes ago. Haven't checked it for 'accuracy' but I guess it could be an easy route into the propers of the Mass:

http://198.62.75.1/www2/cantgreg/toutes_les_messes.html Ordinary Form

http://198.62.75.1/www2/cantgreg/toutes_les_messes_trid.html - rearranged/renamed for the Extraordinary Form